Massachusetts Town on Alert After High School Principal's Jeep Wrangler Bombed
Police believe the principal was specifically targeted.
There are senior pranks, and then there's this: Authorities in Massachusetts believe a public high school principal was targeted after an explosive device, possibly a crude pipe bomb, blew up the front end of his Jeep Wrangler as it was parked outside his home on Thursday night, according to the Boston Herald.
Police responded to a call about an explosion and damage to a vehicle on Thursday night in Blackstone, Massachusetts and discovered the Wrangler with a sizable hole punched in its grille and damage to the radiator and engine block. The owner, who is the principal of nearby Bellingham High School, told officers he was inside when the blast shook his house, sending neighbors running outside to see what had happened.
"I said, 'That smells like an M-80.' We haven't had any action on this street in years. Now this. It is scary," neighbor and Korean War veteran Maurice Dubeau told the Herald. "We're all standing there in the driveway and he said to me, 'I guess they found my address.'"
You can scoff at the damage, but a blast that can blow out a chunk of the grille and dent the radiator like that is also capable of causing serious injury. Blackstone Police responded and determined the damaged had been caused by a crude improvised explosive device, and that the principal was specifically targeted. The investigation has since widened to include several other local police departments, the Massachusetts State Police Bomb Squad, and regional ATF officials. Though all that might not be necessary, as the victim also told Dubeau that he has a suspect in mind, according to the Boston Globe.
As a precaution, extra police officers were stationed at Bellingham High School during the school day on Friday as part of an "ongoing police investigation," though classes continued as normal, according to a statement the school district sent out to parents.
And class of 2018—if you're in the market for a good vehicular-based prank, consider something like this, and maybe skip the pipe bomb.
- RELATEDHere's What the All-New Interior Looks Like in the 2018 Jeep WranglerModern and mudproof - a winning combination.READ NOW
- RELATEDCIA Forgets Plastic Explosives in a Working School BusStudents rode the bus with the explosives under the hood. For two days.READ NOW
- RELATEDFlorida Couple Hauling Propane Grill in Their Kia Light Cigarette, Blow Up CarTip of the summer: Turn off the grill before loading it into your car.READ NOW
- RELATEDBMW Police Car Explodes into Flames for Unknown ReasonAnd to think you're embarrassed to tell your supervisor about your broken radio.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch This Iraqi Soldier Stop An ISIS Car Bomb With A BulldozerA story of incredible bravery from Mosul amidst some of the toughest urban combat in decades.READ NOW