Video: School Bus Shoves Family's Car Across Parking Lot on First Day of School
And how was your first day of school?
With the clash of new routines and organizational abilities deadened by a summer of carefree fun, the first day of school is stressful enough for families. Now imagine you're finally out the door, backing out of your parking spot with your small child in the back seat, and WHAM—a school bus full of kids smashes into your car. Oh, and it doesn't stop.
That was the scary situation, Hari Har Maharana, his wife Nibedita Sohu, and their three-year-old daughter Sanvika found themselves in Monday morning as they left for Savinka's first day of school in Louisville, Kentucky, according to Wave 3 News. Maharana was reversing out of his parking spot at their apartment complex when suddenly a school bus with 46 Jefferson County Public School students on board came around the corner and t-boned their Honda Accord.
But despite the impact, the bus driver didn't stop. Video recorded by a witness shows the school bus slowly pushing the Accord sideways through the parking lot for 121 feet while Maharana desperately honks the horn to get the driver's attention. Between that, the actual collision, the screeching tires, and the fact that students on the bus reportedly tried to alert him, we're completely at a loss as to why he kept on the gas here.
Some sort of medical episode might explain it, but that doesn't seem to be the case—Wave 3 News reports Jefferson County Public Schools are investigating the incident, issuing a statement calling it a "blatant disregard for safety" and confirming the driver has been suspended. Louisville Police also looked into the crash, but no charges have been issued. Fortunately, Maharana, Sohu, and little Sanvika were uninjured, though they're understandably shaken up.
Maharana speculates the driver just couldn't see the smaller sedan over the hood, but the family's neighbors told Wave 3 News that school buses are regularly seen speeding through the complex's roads and parking lots.
- RELATEDCIA Forgets Plastic Explosives in a Working School BusStudents rode the bus with the explosives under the hood. For two days.READ NOW
- RELATEDElectric School Buses Are On Their Way to America's RoadsIn attempts to keep the air clean around kids, major school bus companies Blue Bird and Lion are going electric.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch a School Bus Catch Fire Moments After 20 Kids Safely ExitThankfully, no one was harmed.READ NOW
- RELATEDIs Your Kid’s School Bus a Deathtrap?No seatbelts, no airbags. Just seats.READ NOW
- RELATEDSkip Barber Reminds Us That He's Not Bankrupt, The School IsDon't get it confused.READ NOW