Sleeping Garbage Truck Driver Smashes into 13 Parked Cars in Brooklyn, Not Ticketed by NYPD
Well, that seems like just about the worst wakeup call we can imagine.
A man driving a private garbage truck in New York City fell asleep at the wheel and plowed into 13 parked cars early Monday morning, completely destroying some of the vehicles—and the whole thing was caught on tape. Yet according to a DNAInfo report, the driver was neither arrested nor even ticketed by the New York Police Department.
The unidentified driver was reportedly traveling through the Bedford-Stuyvesant neighborhood of Brooklyn at around 6:00am on Monday when he fell asleep, causing the massive trash truck to veer off the right side of the road and smash into a long row of parked cars. Fortunately, no one was injured, which is pretty remarkable considering the path of devastation.
Yeshiva World News obtained photos of the aftermath, showing several cars smashed beyond recognition and more than a few with huge scrapes and dents along the side. All together, there has to be tens of thousands of dollars in damages between the 13 cars, making it all the more puzzling that the NYPD confirmed to DNAInfo that the driver hasn't even been ticketed, let alone arrested.
Then again, the NYPD is notorious for not fully investigating car accidents when there are no deaths, and for giving drivers the benefit of the doubt when determining fault. Private garbage trucks in particular have been under scrutiny in the city lately, after a string of fatal accidents involving cyclists and pedestrians, yet it looks like in this case the driver will walk away scot-free. Those 13 unlucky car owners can't be happy about that.
- RELATEDVolvo's Autonomous Garbage Truck Reports for DutyIt's designed to be safer and more economical.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch a Bear Take a Ride On a Garbage TruckUrsine hitchhiker may have been looking for leftover pic-a-nic baskets.READ NOW
- RELATEDMan Fights Garbage Fire Using Van Full of Ammo, FailsLate for the 4th of July, early for Chinese New Year.READ NOW
- RELATEDLexus Turns Handicapped Parking Spots into 'Lexus Only' Zone at Calgary AirportLexus and the airport have since apologized for the change, and will be remedying the situation.READ NOW
- RELATEDCar Thief Steals Woman's Jeep Wrangler, Leaves Nissan Rogue in Her Parking SpotThat's... that's not the same thing.READ NOW