Porsche Will Offer Carbon Fiber Wheels on 911 Turbo S in 2018
The option will cost more than a base Ford Focus.
Porsche has a new option coming to the 911 Turbo S Exclusive Series that will add lightness and price to the iconic sports car. Starting in early 2018, you’ll be able to get carbon fiber-reinforced polymer wheels on your 911 for just $17,600 extra.
The wheels only weigh 19 pounds each making them 20 percent lighter than an aluminum alloy wheel of the same size. Being carbon fiber, they’re also 20 percent stronger than the much cheaper alternative. Lower rotating masses at the wheels means slight improvements in acceleration, braking, and overall driving dynamics.
You can tell yourself you’re ordering these rims for the weight savings, but you’re really getting them because they look badass. Seven dark, thin spokes show off the enormous brakes underneath with a central lock in the middle emblazoned with the Porsche logo. These high-tech wheels bring a menacing presence to an already striking sports car.
The production process involves the world’s largest carbon fiber braiding machine which makes the rim base. The wheel center is made from over 200 individual components of carbon fiber fabric. When those the rim base and wheel center are made, they’re braided together with more carbon fiber. The wheel is then hardened at high pressure at high temperatures before a long cooling process. After that’s all done, it gets the center lock and a clear lacquer for protection.
- RELATEDCheck Out The Intense Process Porsche Goes Through To Make A Carbon Fiber Front Trunk LidThe new carbon lid for Porsche's 911 Turbo Exclusive Series is a work of art. See how it's made.READ NOW
- RELATEDThere's an Ultra-Limited $97,000 Paint Option Available for the Porsche 911 Turbo SStanding out ain't cheap.READ NOW
- RELATEDPorsche's 607 Horsepower 911 Turbo S Exclusive Series Is A Nearly Silent Golden RocketWatch this bright and shiny ship sprint its way up the hill in its global debut at GoodwoodREAD NOW
- RELATEDThe Porsche 911 Turbo S Is the Powered Exoskeleton Drivers Need NowThe “Iron Man Suit” sports car gets even more heroic for 2017.READ NOW
- RELATEDPorsche's New 607-HP 911 Turbo S Exclusive Series Is Fast, Luxurious, and Delightfully GoldThe beautiful special edition will be limited to just 500 units worldwide.READ NOW