New BMW Z4 Concept All But Revealed Ahead of Pebble Beach Debut
BMW posts a very generous teaser of its return to roadsters.
BMW has taken a few knocks lately over whether or not the brand has been faithful to the whole "Ultimate Driving Machine" ethos, and many are eagerly waiting to see if the Bavarian half of the Toyota-BMW sports car collaboration will help balance out all those crossovers. Now, ahead of its planned debut at Pebble Beach later this week, here's a generous sneak peek of the rumored BMW Z4 concept via the company's Facebook page.
The high-contrast photo only reveals part of the roadster, but there are a few things we can glean from it regardless. BMW's signature kidney grilles are back and, in a move that's sure to please purists, actually narrower than the previous-generation Z4. The double headlights are also more sharply angled now, giving the car a more aggressive face than its predecessor.
That angry stance continues back down the whole body, with wider fender flares and a more upswept beltline. From spy photos, we know the BMW Z4 concept will rock an old-school cloth roof instead of the retractable hardtop found in the last iteration. Ditching that complex setup will likely save at least a couple hundred pounds, further adding to its sports car credentials.
As we reported last week, the rumored drivetrains also mirror a more back-to-basics approach. Engine options on the BMW Z4 allegedly range from a 2.0-liter, four-cylinder powerplant to the company's 3.0-liter B58 inline-six on top trims, which current puts out 335 horsepower in the BMW 540i. Unlike its Toyota Supra platform-mate, the BMW Z4 will reportedly offer a manual transmission option.
Of course, BMW hasn't confirmed any of these details, so check back here on August 17th for the full reveal.
- RELATEDBMW Z4 Concept May Be Revealed at Pebble Beach in AugustA concept car for the new Bavarian roadster is just three months away, according to a report.READ NOW
- RELATEDInternal BMW Document Seems to Confirm Automatic-Only Toyota SupraInsert sad trombone sound effect here.READ NOW
- RELATEDA Modified BMW Z4M Coupe for the RacesMatt Farah checks out a track-happy BMW coupe with a sweet inline-six.READ NOW
- RELATEDBMW Z4 Owner Caught Doing 139 MPH in a 70 Zone, Asks Cop to Give Him a BreakThe New Jersey native was busted by the Maine State Police for doing 69 over the limit.READ NOW
- RELATEDCar Porn: BMW Z4 M CoupeGetting up close and personal with the sexiest cars on the internet.READ NOW