2018 Ford Mustang GT's 'Quiet Start' Mode Keeps It from Waking the Neighbors
The new feature will automatically quiet down the exhaust between certain hours.
We may love waking up to the sound of a V-8 rumble, but not everyone does. According to a Ranker.com poll, loud revving is one of the most annoying noises neighbors can make. Ford's former head of vehicle engineering, Steve von Foerster, learned this the hard way when neighbors called the police on him after leaving home in his Shelby GT350 one early morning, according to a press release from Ford.
But that gave him an idea. The new 2018 Mustang GT will be available with an optional active exhaust system, which can be quiet when it needs to be but open up and let the V-8 growl when you want it to. Add a little bit of programming, and Quiet Start was born. According to Ford, Quiet Start, also known as "Good Neighbor Mode," is essentially a timer you can program to automatically put the active exhaust into its quietest mode during certain hours, even if you parked it in wide-open track mode.
It's amazing how just a little bit of creative programming can solve problems and add new features in today's computerized cars. All of the necessary components already existed in the Mustang's active exhaust to make it loud or quiet in three different modes. A programmable timer is one of the easiest pieces of software to write—yet this implementation gives the Mustang GT a unique new feature that no one else had thought of yet.
Personally, I don't mind hearing my next door neighbor's Coyote-swapped 1968 Mustang when he starts it, regardless of the time of day. But not everyone is lucky enough to have a fellow gearhead as a neighbor. Ford's unique application of active exhaust technology should help owners maintain favorable diplomatic relations with their neighbors, regardless of whether they love or hate the sound of the Mustang GT.
- RELATED2018 Ford Mustang GT Makes 460 HP, Does 0-60 MPH in Under 4 SecondsWith more horsepower and an all-new 10-speed automatic transmission, the updated Mustang is quicker to 60 than a Porsche 911.READ NOW
- RELATED2018 Ford Mustang Configurator Is Now LiveYou can now build your dream 2018 Mustang and see how much it will cost.READ NOW
- RELATEDCheck Out The 2018 Ford Mustang Pony Package In All Its Retro GloryAn old-school look for the next version of America's first pony car.READ NOW
- RELATEDOhio Ford Dealership Is Selling 10-Second Mustangs for $60,000Is a Dodge Challenger SRT Demon even worth the extra $25,000?READ NOW
- RELATEDFord Makes a Mustang-Inspired Ice Cream Sandwich for National Ice Cream DayFord has the perfect snack for your next Rocky Roadtrip.READ NOW