Bugatti Chiron Replacement Will Go Hybrid, CEO Says
Does that mean we will get more than 1,479 horsepower?
Following the trend set by most new hypercarcars, the Bugatti Chiron's successor is destined for electrification. According to Bugatti CEO Wolfgang Durheimer's statements to Autocar, the hypercar will be electrified in its next generation.
"The next car is a long way from being developed, but the way battery and electric motor technology is moving on—as well as regulations—it seems certain that the next car will be electrified in some way," he said to Autocar.
The current Bugatti Chiron is powered by a 8.0-liter W-16 making 1,479 horsepower and 1,179 lb-ft of torque. This gets the massive 4,400-pound super car to 60 miles per hour in just 2.5 seconds—but with the incorporation of a hybrid drivetrain and thus more power, we may see a quicker 0-60 mph time.
The incorporation of a hybrid drivetrain will bring torque to areas of the power curve that may be lacking some, thus improving acceleration. The McLaren P1, Ferrari LaFerrari, and Porsche 918 Spyder already use hybrid powertrains, and it has proven to be beneficial for them; the LaFerrari hits 60 mph in 2.4 seconds and 100 mph in 4.7 seconds.
Still, the hybrid powertrain for the Bugatti Chiron is over five years away, and still in predevelopment stages. So there's plenty of time to grab a non-electrified Bugatti...if you have the money, of course.
- RELATEDWatch A 1,479-HP Bugatti Chiron Test Car Rumble Around The NurburgringWhat is Bugatti up to with this blacked-out mule?READ NOW
- RELATEDThe 1,479-HP Bugatti Chiron Could Hit 280 MPH… If the Tires Can Keep UpThe question becomes—is 300 mph on the horizon?READ NOW
- RELATEDPick Up a Bugatti EB110 at Greenwich this WeekendOne of the few examples in the US is expected to sell for at least a half-million dollars.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis One-Off Mansory Bugatti Veyron Could Be Yours for $2,000,000Just four easy payments of $500,000.00READ NOW
- RELATEDThe 2017 Bugatti Chiron: A Randomized Hyper-Review of the 1,500-HP, $3 Million HypercarAccording to everyone else, the Bugatti Chiron is really quite fast.READ NOW