Next BMW X5 M to Make More Than 600 Horsepower, Report Says
Will the new BMW X5 M be quicker than the Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk?
The world of high horsepower SUVs continues to expand with the help of the upcoming BMW X5 M. The monstrous SUV is currently powered by a 4.4-liter twin-turbocharged V-8 making 567 horsepower and 553 lb-ft of torque. That is enough power to get the SUV to 60 mph in just 4.0 seconds, but that's apparently not enough for BMW.
As you may expect, the 2017 BMW X5 M isn't cheap with a starting price of $100,700 or a cool leasing structure of $1,199 per month. The 2017 BMW X5 M isn't exactly light—weighing 5,260 pounds, it could stand to lose a little weight. Fortunately, the 2019 X5 M will use BMW's CLAR platform, according to Motor Authority. Although the platform will primarily be used for RWD BMW's, it can also be used for all-wheel-drive systems. The CLAR platform will consist of steel, aluminum, and carbon fiber, resulting in weight reduction and improved rigidity.
Rumors are also circulating that the 2019 BMW X5 M will have north of 600 horsepower. So the combination of increased power, improved rigidity, and reduced weight will transform the X5 M to an even more ridiculous SUV. We do not know any specific performance numbers at this time but it is safe to assume the 0-60 MPH time will be below the current 4.0 seconds.
- RELATEDThe BMW X5 xDrive 40e Offers Electric Attitude—At A PriceBMW's hybrid SUV checks off mileage, performance and luxury, but the cost is steep and the plug superfluous.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Voltex Racing Nissan GT-R Time-Attack Build Looks UnbelievableVoltex Racing teased images of one special R35 GT-R track weapon.READ NOW
- RELATEDBMW to Bring M4 GT4 Race Car to Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge in 2018BMW's track monster is coming to America in January.READ NOW
- RELATEDBMW Connected+ Uses Driver Data to Improve Driver ServicesBMW can do a lot with driver data—assuming owners are comfortable sharing it.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch This 950-Horsepower BMW E39 M5 Rip Through the Half MileYou can hear the supercharger whine for miles.READ NOW