Volkswagen Will Keep Selling the Old Tiguan Alongside the New Tiguan
It will be known as the Tiguan Limited.
Good news for those looking to get into a technically-new compact German crossover on a budget. Turns out, Volkswagen is planning to keep the outgoing Tiguan on the dealership menu alongside the newly redesigned, bigger Tiguan, according to a report by Automotive News. The older car will officially be sold as the "Tiguan Limited" and will only come in one trim level, said Tiguan product manager Jeff Ng.
The Tiguan Limited will be built in Germany as it always has, while the new, non-Limited Tiguan will be built in Puebla, Mexico with pricing information on both set to be announced sometime this month. We think it's safe to assume that the old Limited model will be significantly cheaper than the Tiguan proper, though.
According to Ng, "The segment is huge. There’s a broad range of price points, and we think with this new car, we can still offer the current Tiguan as Tiguan Limited for customers that are looking for different content, different size and different price."
Offering "legacy" models alongside their younger replacements under a slightly altered name is not unprecedented. Nissan did the same thing when the Rogue was redesigned for the 2015 model year, continuing to offer the outgoing car as the Rogue Select. In Canada, Volkswagen themselves offered up essentially reskinned versions of the Mk4 Golf and Jetta as the Golf and Jetta City well after their original production runs.
The brand new 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan will be bigger than its predecessor and ride on the acclaimed MQB architecture that underpins the Mk7 Golf, Audi A3, and a slew of other current and upcoming Volkswagen Group automobiles. If that doesn't sound appetizing, VW will still sell you the OG Tiguan (likely) on the cheap.
- RELATEDTop 10 Small SUVs in 2017From the Nissan Rogue to the Mercedes GLC, a ranking of the best small SUVs on America's roads this year.READ NOW
- RELATEDNew VW Tiguan Revealed at NAIAS 2017Volkswagen’s CUV isn’t so compact anymore.READ NOW
- RELATEDVolkswagen Tiguan Allspace Debuts in EuropeWill we see a similar Tiggy in the States?READ NOW
- RELATEDThe 2018 Volkswagen Atlas Finally Solves VW's America ProblemThe Chattanooga Choo-Choo is the biggest, brawniest VW in the company's 80-year history.READ NOW
- RELATED2018 Volkswagen Atlas Takes on the World: 7 First ImpressionsWe drive the biggest, brawniest model in VW's 80-year history. In Texas, appropriately.READ NOW