Tesla Boss Elon Musk Earned $99,744,920 Last Year
So he has that going for him, which is nice.
We love Elon Musk, the CEO of Tesla, SpaceX, and the Boring Company, because he's a true visionary, a bit of a madman, and has the cojones to lower his lance against industries that have been historically impervious to interlopers. (e.g., cars and rockets).
Musk is brash, arrogant, brilliant, and his Tesla Model S is one of our favorite all-time cars: fast, ludicrous, simple, risky, sort of sexy and sound enough to have forever altered the history and future of the automotive industry and, perhaps, the fate of human civilization.
Think I'm overstating the impact of Elon Musk? Consider this: last year, he made $99,744,920 in salary and bonuses, according to Bloomberg. That breaks down to $45,000 in salary, which is enough to buy a one Model 3, when it hits the stands, and about a half of a Model S. On top of that, he earned $99,698,984 in stock options, which isn't a bad thing, since the price of Tesla stock has had such a killer year the brand value of his car company surpassed Ford's and, for a time, General Motors.
We don't begrudge Musk the money. nor do we begrudge him a little personal succor (he's apparently quite happy with the comely Amber Heard). He's also a hard worker, and SpaceX's race to Mars is one of the single most interesting and ambitious projects underway anywhere, by anyone, ever. Hats off, Musk. Go out and buy something nice for yourself.
- RELATEDElon Musk Shows First Working Demo of The Boring Company's Tunnel Under Los AngelesTunnel excavation is well underway.READ NOW
- RELATEDElon Musk Believes Tesla Ride Sharing Will Be Cheaper Than Public TransportationBillionaire CEO Elon Musk talks about Tesla ride sharing and its potential to cost less than riding the bus.READ NOW
- RELATEDTesla Is Screwed Once Luxury Carmakers Start Building Real Electric CarsElon Musk and Co. must learn to nail true luxury interiors before Mercedes, Audi, and the rest learn to make EVs with Tesla-like range.READ NOW
- RELATEDSpaceX's Massive Falcon Heavy Can Launch 35 Dodge Demons Into SpaceElon Musk goes big with the heaviest lift.READ NOW
- RELATEDElon Musk Predicts Fully Driverless Cars Are Less Than Two Years AwayTesla CEO believes that Level-5 full autonomy is less than two years away from being developed.READ NOW