Watch a Brawl Break Out in Florida Airport After Flights Cancelled
Air travel has gone from "Fly the Friendly Skies" to "The first rule of Fight Club ... "
Florida's Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport was the the scene of a massive melee on Monday involving passengers and Broward Sheriff's Office.
After Spirit Airlines announced nine flight cancellations affecting hundreds of people, long lines formed and customers became irate, according to New York's ABC Eyewitness News WABC-TV. ABC7NY.com says that "about 500 people were in the Spirit terminal" when three individuals, all in their 20s, "were seen by deputies threatening the airline's front counter employees."
The crowd became increasingly agitated and would not leave when ordered, according to the Sheriff's report, as reported by ABC 7NY. Airline employees called law enforcement authorities before the fight broke out.
Spirit Airlines is in the middle of labor negotiations with the Airline Pilots Association; in a statement, Spirit said the APA was at fault for the cancellations, and that it has filed an "unlawful job action" lawsuit against the association. The APA disputes those claims.
- RELATEDMan Attempting to Catch Flight Rolls Car Over and Drives on to AirportA toll collector realized that the car's airbags were deployed as he attempted to drive onward.READ NOW
- RELATEDRide Along Next to the Largest Airliner in the World as it Takes Off From LAXEscorting the A380 through LAX in a Chevy CapriceREAD NOW
- RELATEDAlaska Airlines Changed Flights So Passengers Could See a Solar EclipseWell, now we know which airline gets our business from here on out.READ NOW
- RELATEDTrump Wants to Privatize America's Air Traffic Control SystemThe Trump administration's new budget wants to take ATC out of the FAA's wheelhouse.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch an Airplane's Engine Explode into Sparks at New York's JFK AirportThe Argentina Airlines jetliner was sitting on a runway when the engine apparent overheated and caught fire with a bang.READ NOW