Watch the 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Lap the Nurburgring 12 Seconds Faster Than Its Predecessor
The refreshed GT3 can lap the Nordschleife in 7:12.7.
We knew the new Porsche 911 GT3 was quick, but we didn't think it would be 12-seconds-faster-than-the-previous-model-around-the-Nurburgring quick. But a video shared by Porsche on Thursday shows just how intimidatingly fast the 2018 GT3 is around the 12.9-mile Nordschleife.
The video, uploaded to Vimeo on Thursday (and then quickly taken down, although not before other websites were able to rip it and re-upload it), shows the full seven minute-and-change lap at the Green Hell. Throughout the clip, the pilot, Porsche test driver Lars Kern, can be seen managing the GT3's high-revving, 500-horsepower, 4.0-liter engine with extreme finesse. For most of the video, the engine is kept blaring at well above 5,000 rpm, allowing Kern the power necessary to throttle out of any corner with hustle.
Though Porsche now offers the GT3 with a three-pedal, six-speed manual transmission setup, the yellow GT3 in the video is equipped with the PDK transmission. Additionally, the lap setting car had the $9,210 carbon-ceramic brake setup and Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires.
“A few years ago, lap times like this could only ever be achieved by thoroughbred racing cars with slick tires”, said Porsche GT model line head, Andreas Preuninger, in a press release. “The new GT3 can now achieve this with comparatively modest power, but is still fully suited to everyday use.”
This new lap time isn't exactly the 6:52.01 time set by the Lamborghini Huracan Performante, but that doesn't diminish the fact that this thing is 12.3 seconds quicker around the 'Ring than the previous car. That's basically decades in Nurburgring time.
- RELATEDDash Cam Captures Airplane Crash in Front of Traffic in Washington StateIncredibly, no one was seriously injured.READ NOW
- RELATEDNew 911 GT3 Nearly As Fast On Track As A 918 SpyderEvo Mag tested 991 GT3 at Anglesey Circuit, and set a mega quick time.READ NOW
- RELATEDPorsche's New 911 GT3 Is a 9,000-RPM Lesson In FerocityDon't just take our word for it, here's every video review in one place.READ NOW
- RELATEDSound Comparison: Ferrari 458 Challenge vs. 488 GT3A battle of the brawn pits turbocharging against natural aspiration.READ NOW
- RELATEDShelby GT350 Ford Mustang Continues Unchanged for 2018 Model YearAnd we all ought to be thankful for that.READ NOW