Chevrolet Bumps Up the Tahoe's Horsepower With RST Special Edition
The Tahoe Rally Sport Truck package comes with a 6.2-liter V-8 and 10-speed automatic transmission.
For over a decade the Chevy Tahoe has been powered by a trustworthy but not too powerful 5.3-liter V-8. Producing 355 horsepower, the Tahoe has enough get up and go to bring it to 60 mph in 7.2 seconds but in the age of high horsepower SUVs, the 5.3-liter V-8 may be considered “slow.”
Fortunately, Chevrolet’s new Rally Sport Truck package is bringing more than just aggressive looks to the table. According to GM, the new Rally Sport Truck package will drop the 6.2-liter V-8 found in the GMC Yukon Denali into the Tahoe’s engine compartment. This will bring power ratings up to 420 horsepower and 460 lb-ft of torque. With the additional 65 horsepower, the Tahoe will launch to 60 mph in less than 6 seconds. However, if owners opt to further the vehicle’s performance, they can squeeze out an additional 10 horsepower by ordering an optional Borla exhaust system. Still, such a speedy zero to sixty time wouldn’t necessarily come from an additional 75 horsepower. That is where the 10L80 10-speed automatic transmission comes into play. Currently found in the Camaro ZL1, this high performance transmission allows for improved acceleration thanks to shorter gearing and will be a standard pairing with the 6.2-liter V-8 option.
In order to stop the massive SUV, owners can opt for six-piston Brembo brake calipers up front. Rather than keeping the soft suspension found in the Chevy Tahoe, GM has decided to add exclusive magnetic ride control to the flurry of other performance parts owners receive when going with the 6.2-liter V-8.
In addition to performance upgrade, the Chevy Tahoe Rally Sport Truck package will also offer a color-matching grill, gloss-black mirror caps and window trim and 22 inch wheels. The Chevrolet Suburban will be eligible for the RST package as well, but only the cosmetic options. Pricing has yet to be announced but you can expect to hear more details before the fall 2018 release date.
- RELATEDPolice Officer Uses Chevy Tahoe to Push Burning Ford F-150 Away From BuildingThe quick thinking of a Glenn Heights cop probably saved a Jack in the Box.READ NOW
- RELATEDCritics’ Notebook: The 2016 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZLike Jackie Gleason on wheels.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe First Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE Will Be Auctioned Off for CharityMake sure your checkbook is ready.READ NOW
- RELATEDAfter Delay, Ford Ships 7,500 10-Speed F150s to DealersAfter working out some kinks, Ford's fresh powertrain option should be available soon.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch Hennessey's 1,000-HP Chevy Camaro ZL1 "The Exorcist" Do an Insane BurnoutThe Dodge Challenger Demon may already be in trouble.READ NOW