2018 Buick Regal Sportback Is a Sleek, Coupe-Looking Sedan
It even has elements of a hatchback. So what is it exactly?
Debuting alongside its wagon stablemate, the Regal TourX, Buick has just unveiled the Regal Sportback, the American automaker's newest five-door sedan. Much like the TourX, the Sportback is particularly handsome, but its purpose is distinct from its sibling's. Ditching the TourX's ruggedness for luxury and looks, the Regal Sportback has sleek, flowing lines and a low beltline to mimic the looks of a coupe.
Remarking on the new sedan, vice president, Global Buick and GMC, Duncan Aldred, said, "The new Regal Sportback was developed with today’s active, independent, premium car customer in mind. They have an SUV in the garage and are looking to complement it with a sport sedan, but have an appreciation for the usefulness of a versatile cargo space when an occasional need arises."
Power comes from a 2.0 liter turbocharged inline-four cylinder engine that produces 250 hp and 260 lb-ft of torque in front-wheel drive trim, which is sent through a nine-speed automatic. In all-wheel drive guise, horsepower remains at 250, but the torque figures increases to 295 lb-ft. This trim also uses an eight-speed automatic and the all-wheel drive system uses a twin-clutch differential for instant torque application when needed.
Buick has also shed around 200 pounds off the new Regal Sportback compared to the previous generation of Regal, which should help it feel as sporty as it looks. The Sportback is expected to go on sale sometime this fall.
- RELATED2018 Buick Regal TourX Is America's Station Wagon With SUV DreamsPutting the Audi Allroad, Volvo Cross Country, and Subaru Outback on notice.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch Construction Workers Cling to the Hood Of a Tool Thief's Buick Before Ramming It Off the RoadOne worker jumps on the hood of the thief's car as he flies down the street.READ NOW
- RELATEDLong-Term Quality: Buick, An American Success StoryThe largest study on the long-term reliability of used cars takes a deeper dive into Buick.READ NOW
- RELATEDNew Opel Insignia Wagon Revealed, Could Be Next Buick Regal VariantAnd believe us when we say that this thing is stunning.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Next Generation Buick Regal is StunningWho knew you'd want one this much?READ NOW