Maserati Pits Levante Against Horse in the "Ultimate Challenge"
The Maserati Levante may be a capable SUV...but this video proves nothing.
Once upon a time, Top Gear featured an episode where a tank competed against a Land Rover Range Rover Sport in an impressive display of the Range Rover Sport's off-road capabilities. Unfortunately, the video Maserati just released of its Levante is far from that. The video starts off at the Chavenage House Estate in the British countryside. The two men featured in the video, Dan and Harry Skelton, are brothers that are well versed in the art of hunting. Dan Skelton is a national hunt trainer and Harry Skelton is a national hunt jockey.
The "challenge" is to see whether or not the Maserati Levante can beat a horse in a short venture across the countryside. Right off the bat, though, the video feels like a bit of a let down. Of course the horse will fall to the Maserati Levante; although the animal is very capable at navigating off-road terrain, it is still limited to 35 miles per hour—and that only in short bursts. The Maserati Levante is an all-wheel-drive SUV powered by a 275-horsepower 3.0-liter turbodiesel V-6. As long as there is relatively unobstructed terrain, the Maserati Levante will win every time.
The course is primarily constructed of grass fields, a dash of mud and enough woods to be esthetically pleasing. Long story short, a Toyota Corolla with studded tires could beat the horse. Would we consider this the “ultimate challenge?” Nope, not at all.
- RELATEDMaserati Levante Recall Channels Jeep in All the Wrong WaysMaserati continues to have reliability woes in latest recall for crossover.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Maserati Levante S Q4 Is a Luxury SUV That Flips the ScriptModena's first utility vehicle should have been boring crossover gussied up with contrived Italian drama. Instead, it's the best car Maserati has made in decades.READ NOW
- RELATEDMaserati’s Levante Is a Spicy Meatball of an SUVWho's in the mood for Italian?READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Maserati Levante’s Chief Designer Sells Us a Maserati LevanteDon't worry: The Italians designed the thing to look great at any of its five ride heights.READ NOW
- RELATEDA Virtual Tour Inside the Maserati Levante at the New York Auto ShowWhat's it like inside Maserati's first-ever SUV? Find out with a 360-degree virtual tour.READ NOW