Volvo V90 R-Design Is a Better-Looking Version of an Already Gorgeous Wagon
So what if it's all flash and little muscle?
The latest addition to Volvo's proud station wagon tradition: The new Volvo V90 R-Design, which joins the smaller V60 R-Design in the category of, shall we say, sports-adjacent vehicles.
While a truly athletic Volvo V90 Polestar is likely in the works, likely pushing 400 horsepower from a combination of gas-powered and electric motors like the XC90 Polestar, the V90 R-Design is what Volvo euphemistically calls "performance-inspired." It's as though the R-Design models have met true performance machines, but drove away only coveting those cars' wheels and interior trim, not their performance parts. The car is powered by the same varieties of forced induction four-cylinder engines as every other V90; capable, perhaps quick, but not explosively fast.
Working with the Volvo V90's already-handsome shape, the R-Design was destined to be a looker. The front-end has been slightly revised, with different fog lights and slightly extended valances—yes, get the smelling salts, they've been extended. Inside, the seats gain a few curves and the dash gets a touch more metallic trim. The truly daring—solo yachtsmen, fire-eaters, flyers of Spirit Airlines—will appreciate the "high level interior illumination package" that "radiates attention to detail." Gird ye loins.
We would never call the R-Design models poseurs. They're just everyday cars in athletic wear. While the hardcore Volvos are always the most tingle-inducing, especially wagons like the beloved, 5-cylinder V70 R or the screaming, Audi S4-fight V60 Polestar with Öhlins shocks and 20-inch wheels, these well-trimmed models are fun to look at, too. Until the inevitable V90 Polestar shows up, we'll happily make do with this long, sultry station wagon.
- RELATEDDrive Wire: Volvo Shows Off The New V90READ NOW
- RELATEDBehind The Scenes in Geneva With the Volvo V90 EstateYou can't argue that it's beautiful—but do people want wagons anymore?READ NOW
- RELATEDThe New Volvo V90, Your Cure for the Common CrossoverVolvo’s long-awaited estate is long, strong and down to get the friction on.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire: Volvo Looks to its Wagon Legacy for the New V90READ NOW
- RELATEDSpy Shots of The Volvo V90 Cross Country Have Leaked And The Chevy Silverado Gets A Mean Hood: The Evening RushPlus, the perfect military-style jacket, and hoppy beer from The Brew Gentlemen Beer CompanyREAD NOW