Listen to the 2017 Mercedes-AMG GT-R Burble Down the Road
So many hyphens, so much sexiness.
The 2017 Mercedes-AMG GT-R is coming very soon. We know it's coming soon, because AMG bossman Tobias Moers said as much in an interview a few months back. But we also know this because Mercedes-Benz's newest super sports car keeps popping up like a groundhog—and wearing less and less camouflage every time it shows up.
Much of the recent footage of the car has shown it running rings around the Nürburgring, but recently, veteran YouTube supercar spotter cvdzijden caught the AMG GT-R on what looks to be Gottlieb-Daimler-Strasse, the main boulevard where a number of manufacturers and suppliers have their 'Ring headquarters. In the video, the super-Benz has what looks like a screen door stretched over the milk crate front grille seen in earlier footage. Compared with an AMG GT-S that follows the new Mercedes during part of the vid, the GT-R's rear spoiler looks far larger; it also features small "flaperons" on its edges to better channel air at high speed.
The video also gives us our first chance to hear the burble of the GT-R's 4.0-liter twin-turbo V-8 up close. Based on the few seconds of audio, the car seems to have the sort of low, rattling grumble that made us fall in love with AMG's big-bore 6.2 liter V-8 all those years ago—which makes us happy in all the best ways. And while we already knew the GT-R had a central exhaust, the new clip seems to reveal that the car has but a single pipe jutting from its sculpted rear bumper. Which, if true, opens the car up to a whole bunch of really immature jokes.
- RELATED2017 Mercedes-AMG C63 Cabrio Lands in New YorkThere's no better way to hear that sweet, sweet V-8.READ NOW
- RELATEDCritics' Notebook: 2016 Mercedes-AMG GLE63 SDon't diss the coupe.READ NOW
- RELATEDCritics' Notebook: Mercedes-Benz AMG GT-SA thrilling sports car that somehow fails to arouse.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire: We Spy a Mercedes Benz-AMG C63 CabrioletREAD NOW
- RELATED9-Second C63 AMG Makes the Noises, Scares the ChildrenThe owner says it’s the world’s fastest C63. Sure sounds like it.READ NOW