The Next McLaren Hypercar Will Do Over 243 MPH
McLaren's upcoming three-seat hypercar will have a higher top speed than any McLaren before it.
McLaren's next hypercar, known only by its BP23 codename at present, has been guaranteed a top speed in excess of 243 mph—the top speed of its original road car, the F1.
Like the F1, the BP23 is meant to be a road car first and foremost, and as such is referred to by McLaren as a "hyper GT" car. Also akin to the F1, the BP23 will be a three-seater, with the driver centered in the car, and their passengers flanking them. Interior amenities remain unspecified and only the status of "most luxurious" is used to describe the car's comforts.
Details on the BP23's powertrain are equally vague. McLaren has divulged that the car will use hybrid propulsion, with electric motors and an internal combustion engine, like those used on the P1. Unlike the P1, however, the BP23 is not expected to use the company's aging M838T 3.8-liter twin-turbo V-8. The newer 4.0-liter M840T, as used in the 720S and Senna, is instead anticipated to power the BP23.
McLaren has already sold every one of the 106 examples of the car, equaling the production figures of the F1, for $2.2 million (1.6 million pounds) apiece. Buyers will receive a private unveiling of the car prior to the public showing, which is slated to occur before 2018 bows out.
- RELATEDTrade in Your McLaren 570S for This $189,000 Richard Mille WatchOnly 500 of these timepieces will be made, and will primarily go to McLaren Senna buyers.READ NOW
- RELATEDDriver Abandons McLaren 650S in Snowstorm, Refuses to Move Until Roads Are ClearThat's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.READ NOW
- RELATEDTrack-Only McLaren Senna GTR Concept Unveiled, Costs $1.4 MillionThis is the fastest McLaren you can buy outside of an F1 car, boasting more power than the standard Senna and 2,200 pounds of downforce.READ NOW
- RELATEDMcLaren's First Renault-Powered F1 Car Debuts in Perfect Papaya OrangeThe MCL33 brings about a new hope for McLaren faithful ... and Alonso.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch Racing Hero Bill Auberlen Heel-toe in a McLaren F1 GTRBill Auberlen thrashes a McLaren F1 GTR at a track day around New Jersey Motorsports Park.READ NOW