Morgan Versus Porsche 911 Carrera S: a Very Biased Comparison
What happens when the world's best/worst British car meets iconic German iron?
Let's go back to World War 2. Do you know how the British finally sunk the Bismarck? It didn't take much. Just a few obsolete Swordfish biplane torpedo bombers whose wings weren't even metal. Yup, the Brits used fabric. That's the thing. No matter how much engineering you put into something, you can't beat simplicity. Grit. Wood.
You know where this is going.
This week on Morgan Versus, the world's best/worst car — my Morgan 3-wheeler — faces off with Germany's best. Maybe not their absolute best. But a pretty good one: a 201x Porsche 911 Carrera S Cabriolet. What year is the Porsche? I forgot. Actually, I didn't even really check. Does it matter? No. Every Porsche is the best Germany could do in any given year. You can't say that about British cars. I think this 911 is a 2013. Guess what?
No one cares. Ok, maybe fools like Shmee150, who think new new is better.
Is the Morgan junk? Even if it is, it's still the best car I've ever owned, and the greatest driving experience of all time. The Porsche? Even if it's perfect, it's still junk compared to the Morgan. Why? Because some things can't be measured. Actually, they can, just not with numbers.
For the record, I own a 911. I love it. It's a 1987 Targa, and it's amazing. But that car wasn't available, so instead we have this sacrificial lamb. Let's find out close it was, or if the Porsche got torpedoed.
Alex Roy is Editor-at-Large for The Drive, Host of The Autonocast, co-host of /DRIVE on NBC Sports and author of The Driver, has set numerous endurance driving records in Europe & the USA in the internal combustion, EV, 3-wheeler & Semi-Autonomous Classes, including the infamous Cannonball Run record. You can follow him on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- RELATEDMorgan 3-Wheeler Versus 2017 e-Moke: A Very Biased Comparison TestWhat happens when the world's best/worst car meets the son of junk?READ NOW
- RELATEDMorgan 3-Wheeler Vs. 1955 Land Rover Series 1: A Very Biased Comparison TestThe three-wheeled speed machine faces off against a six-decade-old off-roader.READ NOW
- RELATEDMorgan 3 Wheeler Vs. Vanderhall Venice: A (Slightly Biased) One-Man Comparison TestPitting the world’s best-slash-worst car against an American upstart.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch a Morgan Get Its Wood Smashed by a Small French HatchbackWhen pulling out goes wrong.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch This Beautiful Morgan Aero 8 Race Against A Stunt BiplaneThe dance between air and land is both beautiful and death-defying.READ NOW