Watch This Giant Foam Roll Take Out a Motorcyclist on the Highway
There's a joke about “foam rollers” here somewhere.
A motorcyclist in Minnesota found himself thankful he'd recently purchased a protective jacket after a sudden impact with a roll of foam sent him tumbling off his bike and onto the busy freeway—and it was all captured on crystal-clear dashcam video by a following vehicle.
Local news station KMSP Fox 9 reports Brendan Jankowski, 20, was riding his motorcycle home when a huge foam float pad fell off a boat being towed in front of him. Jankowski attempted to avoid the lost load, but to prevent getting hit by other motorists, he minimized his swerving and tried to go as far to the right side of his lane as possible. As you can see below...it didn't work.
After hitting the foam pad almost directly head-on, Jankowski's bike was propelled in the air and he was thrown to the ground, skittering across the highway before coming to a stop several yards away from his fallen motorcycle.
Jankowski told Fox 9 in addition to a riding helmet, he was wearing a motorcycle jacket—which he purchased just an hour before the incident occurred.
“I just bought the jacket that day thinking I’d come back next week and get the gear and have the full set,” Jankowski said. “I happened to use the jacket I just bought to help save me quite a bit of pain.”
The news station reports police believe the driver of the vehicle towing the boat may have not realized that he dropped the foam pad. As of Tuesday evening, law enforcement had been unable to track the driver down. Anyone who spots a sheepish-looking person attempting to buy a foam boating pad is encouraged to contact the Minnesota State Patrol.
- RELATEDA Rally Driving Crash-Course at Team O'NeilGolden State native Chris Cantle makes friends with the snow and slush in New Hampshire.READ NOW
- RELATED10 Rally Crashes That Might Give You PTSDTwisted metal, broken bones and shattered dreams.READ NOW
- RELATEDAndrew Palmer's Bentley GT3 Race Car Did Not Go Airborne In Lime Rock CrashTrack spokesperson tells The Drive the car “did not leave the ground.”READ NOW
- RELATEDAMA Motorcycle Racing’s Harley HeroJay Springsteen made it look easy.READ NOW
- RELATEDCrash Tested: Alpinestars GP Pro Motorcycle Racing LeathersWe put our ass on the line to test Alpinestars' latest hide-protectors.READ NOW