Koenigsegg Says They’re Working On A Sedan, Just Like Bugatti
But, also like Bugatti, they definitely won't do an SUV.
Christian von Koenigsegg has his sights locked square on Bugatti. If the Koenigsegg Regera he revealed directly across the hall from the Bugatti Chiron at the Geneva Motor Show isn't proof enough of that, ;his show floor declaration that his company is considering building a sedan certainly is.
"That's very much on the drawing board," von Koenigsegg told Top Gear in regards to the idea of making a four-door 'Egg. "It's a project we've been working on for quite some time. I’d be surprised if that’s the next thing we release—because we’re getting such a good response for our traditional type of supercars—but it’s a car I’d love to do.”
This, of course, comes hot on the heels of Bugatti CEO Wolfgang Dürheimer's admission's admission that "I can't get the idea for a four-door limousine out of my head," prompting the Internet to briefly erupt with frantic speculation that the Gallic-cum-Germanic luxury brand might resurrect the 16C Galibier. That car moved the Veyron's master-blaster of a motor in front of the passenger compartment; presumably, a Koenigsegg sedan (which we're gonna go ahead and call the Koenigsedan because obviously) would do the same. Although a mid-engined sedan would be awesome.
And much like Dürheimer, von Koenigsegg is adamant that his car maker won't stretch out into sport-utility vehicles. The smooth-headed Swede was a bit more verbose about the matter than his Bugatti counterpart, though.
"Technically I don’t see a big issue with it," he told TG. "It’d be a pretty wild SUV because you’d have a big tunnel in the centre, huge sills, bucket seats. I think it could be a thing the market could accept. But I’m just not a fan of SUVs. To me they are fundamentally flawed. Sure we could sell them, but I don’t want to."
So, to recap: Koenigsedan, yes; KoenigSUV, no. We're cool with that.
- RELATEDDrive Wire: Koenigsegg Will Sell 25 Cars in the U.S.READ NOW
- RELATEDKoenigsegg Merchandise Is Watching YouWe looked at Koenigsegg's official store. It peered back into our soul.READ NOW
- RELATEDKoenigsegg Spent All Afternoon Tweeting Vegetable PunsBless those Swedish weirdos.READ NOW
- RELATEDKoenigsegg's Regera Is the World's Most Endearing Instrument of ChaosNo gears. All the horsepower. Also, something called "Autoskin."READ NOW
- RELATEDThis $6M Koenigsegg is the World's Most Expensive Development MuleMeet the One:1 that spawned them all.READ NOW