Porsche Unveils Chinese Market Exclusive RWD Panamera Executive Model
The long-wheelbase Porsche sedan has thus far only been available in AWD variants.
This week Porsche launched a brand new model that we can't buy here in the US, or rather nobody can buy it except for those customers in China. At the moment, the only way you can buy a rear-wheel-drive Panamera is the base 3-liter turbo V6 model with 330 horsepower. Additionally, the only way you can buy a long-wheelbase Executive model is with four driven wheels, in Panamera 4 Executive, Panamera 4S Executive, Panamera Turbo Executive, Panamera 4S E-Hybrid Executive, and Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid Executive guises. Because the Chinese market really loves long wheelbase models, but doesn't really want to pay the premium for extra power, Porsche has launched the Panamera Executive model, a long-wheelbase version of the base engine RWD Panamera. In the US, a long-wheelbase Executive version of the Panamera costs about 10,000 dollars more than the standard wheelbase of the same model.
“This model underlines how important the Chinese market is to us”, says Oliver Blume, Chairman of the Executive Board of Porsche AG, at the Shanghai auto show this week.
In 2015 and 2016, China was the strongest individual market for Porsche, increasing sales twelve percent year on year, and they're headed for another good Chinese sales year in 2017 as well. Porsche in China, unlike the rest of the world, has really built their reputation on luxury SUVs and Sedans. The sports car market in China has never been large, but because of the popularity of Macan and Panamera models, Porsche has seen growth in the two-door sports car segment as well, with the 911 increasing by eleven percent in '16 over '15. Porsche has seen a particularly large percentage of their young customers in China choosing to purchase a 718 Boxster or 718 Cayman model, which was introduced last year.
- RELATEDIs Porsche's Panamera Turbo Really The Greatest GT Car?Compared to Aston Martin's DB11 and McLaren's 570GT, it might be.READ NOW
- RELATEDAudi RS7 Versus Porsche Panamera Turbo – Same Engine, Different OutcomeBoth have four-liter twin-turbocharged V8s, both are wickedly-fast German super sedans, so what's different?READ NOW
- RELATEDPorsche Cars North America Sales Up 3.9%, Lead By Macan And PanameraPorsche sports car model sales down significantly over last year, sadly.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch a Le Mans Champ Terrify Passengers In a Porsche Panamera Turbo SThe Panamera Turbo S is significantly faster than the average cars normally associated with ride-sharing programs.READ NOW
- RELATEDWhat Does The Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid Mean For The Future Of Porsche Performance?How long until everything they make is hybrid?READ NOW