A Unique 993 Speedster For A Unique Porsche Enthusiast
There was only ever one 993 Speedster built by the factory, but that didn't stop this Porsche enthusiast from building her own.
When the 993 was in its prime, (You remember the mid-1990s, right?) Porsche built a single Speedster version of the car for Butzi Porsche to enjoy. It was a dark green narrow-body Carrera 2 with a chopped roof, lower top, and humps covering where the rear seats would be. There was also a later silver car that was converted by the Sunderwunsch program for Jerry Seinfeld in 1998. This red widebody car is neither of those original factory-built pieces, but it's as close as any normal Porsche enthusiast can get these days. This car was built for one truly enthusiastic Porsche owner, profiled here, using 100% factory components sourced from the 964 Speedster.
Following on from the success of the 1989 Carrera 3.2 Speedster, Porsche built a run of 964 Speedsters, but chose to refrain from making a production run of 993 Speedsters for some reason. Because the owners of this car, lovingly dubbed "Speedy", wanted something truly unique, they chose to build theirs out of a widebody 993 Carrera S coupe (Porsche didn't build widebody Cabriolets, which would have been much easier to convert). The idea with this car was to combine the ethos of the original lightweight 356 Speedster with an iconic aesthetic appearance of the 89 Speedster. An RS-style interior with hardback sport bucket seats works well with a set of RS-style uber-rare magnesium-center Speedline wheels and wide hips. The car that they'd envisioned is exactly what the car looked like when it was finished. Just look at it, it's perfect.
This video from Der Faszination on YouTube is great, because it shows just how enthusiastic some people can be about their custom Porsches. It was Ferdinand Porsche himself that once said, "I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself." This is exactly what this Porsche nut has done, and she can't stop gushing about it. Rock on, Speedy!
- RELATEDReviving A Long-Stagnant Speedster Project With A Build PartyThis is a movement that more car enthusiasts should embrace. Drag your old projects out of the garage and invite your friends over.READ NOW
- RELATEDHomemade Porsche 911 Speedster Available At AuctionStrange Porsche/Miata Amalgam Is Oddly CoolREAD NOW
- RELATEDJay Leno Drives A 356 Speedster Replica That Is Possibly Better Than The Real ThingVolkswagen floor pan, Subaru engine, Design by Porsche, Almost no real Porsche parts included.READ NOW
- RELATEDWorlds Only Speed Yellow 997 Speedster For SaleSloan Cars is selling the one-of-one 997 Speedster in Speed Yellow, the only one to ever exist. It's gorgeous. You need it.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis 993 Carrera 2 Is A "Forever Car" For Its OwnerMatt Farah takes this mostly-stock 1997 Porsche 911 C2 for a jaunt, and can't stop smiling.READ NOW