Homemade Porsche 911 Speedster Available At Auction
Strange Porsche/Miata Amalgam Is Oddly Cool
We've seen this car floating around the California Bay Area before, and while it certainly isn't the most stunning thing a Porsche enthusiast has ever built, it is certainly nothing less than attention grabbing. With a Mazda MX-5 sourced windshield frame and glass, this roofless Porsche provides great open top motoring in a proven rear-engine flat-six-powered chassis. Without a roof, though, it seems this might be a little lacking in the 'torsional rigidity' department.
If you're looking for a truly interesting way to grab attention, and perhaps the ire of purists at the next Porsche gathering, this car is currently available for sale via Bring A Trailer auction listing. The listing still has a full week remaining, but this auction is still likely to be one of the least expensive ways to purchase a running 1965 911 we've seen in years.
If you have a desire to drive a highly customized early 911 with no roof and no windows, this might be the one for you. The engine is not original to the car, and the seller does not know if it is a 2.0 or a 2.2 liter, but in either case, the engine alone is worth more than the car's current bid. The car was originally a Gulf Blau coupe with black leatherette interior, and the current black paint is a little sad. The car could be restored if you managed to find a coupe windshield frame and roof panel, but would be quite costly. Personally, we'd leave the car as-is for maximum open top driving enjoyment. We love open 911s, because the engine just sounds that much more sweet when the sound is given unincumbered access to your ear holes. It seems unlikely that this car is very safe, however, and we might invest in some roll protection.
What do you think, super cool or sacrilege?
- RELATEDJay Leno Drives A 356 Speedster Replica That Is Possibly Better Than The Real ThingVolkswagen floor pan, Subaru engine, Design by Porsche, Almost no real Porsche parts included.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis 356 Speedster “Barn Find” Just Sold For $605,000The Auctions America sale in Hilton Head, SC this weekend produced this hugely surprising sale number. I'm sure the seller is pretty happy with the result.READ NOW
- RELATEDWorlds Only Speed Yellow 997 Speedster For SaleSloan Cars is selling the one-of-one 997 Speedster in Speed Yellow, the only one to ever exist. It's gorgeous. You need it.READ NOW
- RELATEDMazda Miata Speedster and Spyder Concepts Are the Best Things at SEMAThe world’s largest aftermarket tuning show is full of bad taste. Here’s some Miata to fix that.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Porsche 993 Turbo Cabriolet Just Sold for $1.4 MillionThis unicorn, auctioned off Wednesday at RM Sotheby's in Paris, was just one of 14 993-model Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolets ever made.READ NOW