New "As Raced" Display Opens At Porsche Experience Center Atlanta
The new display runs until June, replacing the Coca-Cola themed gallery there previously
Porsche's Experience Center in Atlanta has a mini-museum inside it, and the displays swap out every six months or so, making new additions a great excuse to travel to Atlanta. In addition to a number of classic street cars, PCNA has taken to hosting a variety of race cars. The theme of this installment is "as raced" featuring a handful of exquisite vintage Porsches that are still shown in unrestored condition. They are maintained in the same condition they were when they were still brand new racing cars.
Our personal favorite from the new display is this gloriously preserved 356A Speedster that has been raced its entire life. Back in the 1950s, the car was purchased by Don Dreher and raced extensively on the east coast and across the midwest at famous tracks like Watkins Glen, Road America, and Mid-Ohio. Dreher was a true privateer, maintaining and racing the car himself in events sanctioned by the SCCA and PCA. The stout roll bar was installed in 1958 and would not be remotely legal in today's racing environment. Also included in this display is Dreher's original helmet, gloves, and goggles, as well as an in-period black and white photograph of the car on course.
- RELATEDJay Leno Drives A 356 Speedster Replica That Is Possibly Better Than The Real ThingVolkswagen floor pan, Subaru engine, Design by Porsche, Almost no real Porsche parts included.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis 356 Speedster “Barn Find” Just Sold For $605,000The Auctions America sale in Hilton Head, SC this weekend produced this hugely surprising sale number. I'm sure the seller is pretty happy with the result.READ NOW
- RELATEDWorlds Only Speed Yellow 997 Speedster For SaleSloan Cars is selling the one-of-one 997 Speedster in Speed Yellow, the only one to ever exist. It's gorgeous. You need it.READ NOW
- RELATEDAdam Carolla Buys Paul Newman’s Porsche 935 for $4.4 MillionNewman famously drove the 1979 race car to a class win at Le Mans.READ NOW
- RELATEDPaul Newman’s Porsche 935 Le Mans Race Car Could Soon Be YoursIf you've got roughly $5 million to spare.READ NOW