Rare 964 Carrera 4 Lightweight Gets A Careful Detailing
With only 22 of these race cars built, this is a special Porsche. Taking care of the paint is a very important part of the detailing process.
In this video from Larry Kosilla and AMMO NYC, the discussion turns to what he calls the "Detailers Dilemma". On a car like the Porsche Carrera 4 Lightweight, of which only 22 examples were produced, Porsche only sprayed a thin layer of paint, just a few microns thick in order to save weight. Your traditional detail would begin with a cutting compound to give the paint some sheen again, but when so little paint is on the car to start with, cutting it might compromise the integrity of the paint. As such, Larry has to make the choice between making the car look its ultimate best and preserving what originality can be preserved. Making the right choice is important because a rare car like this can only have "original paint" once, and any resprays would potentially decrease its value among collectors.
This is an interesting video, as it gives a rudimentary breakdown of the car in question, why it was initially built, and the historical context necessary to understand it all. With only a few examples of this car in the world, it isn't a car you see every day. Personally we've only ever laid eyes on one example of the 964 Carrera 4 Lightweight, and getting a video showing some of the cars features like this one is uncommon. Check it out, it's worth your time.
- RELATEDHow To Prepare Your Porsche Wheels For WinterLarry Kosilla is obsessed with cleaning his Porsche, which makes sense because cleaning cars is kind of his job. In this video, he shows you how to make your car as clean as his.READ NOW
- RELATEDVideo: Driving A One-Of-Two RHD Porsche 964 3.6 Turbo FlachbauIn The Nineties, Porsche Built A Car Specifically For The CognoscentiREAD NOW
- RELATEDWatch This 964-Generation Porsche 911 Nearly Crash at the NurburgringMissing the Armco by the skin of its teeth. (Y'know, if cars had teeth.)READ NOW
- RELATEDPorsche Classic Has The Shocks You Need For Your 993New technology shock absorbers retain that classic 993 feelREAD NOW
- RELATEDThis 993 Doing Donuts Is Something You Need To SeeA burnout is a beautiful thingREAD NOW