There’s A 356 Carrera 2 Sunroof Coupe For Sale On Ebay
It's rare and spectacular!
New York Porsche sellers Manhattan Motorcars has this 356 coupe for sale on eBay at the moment. That may not seem like anything particularly interesting, but when you see what is under the rear decklid, you might understand. This particular 356 is extraordinarily rare, as it is a "Carrera 2" model with a sunroof. Only 126 Carrera 2s were produced in 1963 and 1964, and that production was split between coupes, cabriolets, and Karmann hardtop models. Porsche's production doesn't list how many coupes were produced, but it's likely just over half of that 126 number, so figure about 75 of these were produced, and even fewer of those with sunroofs. This lovely little motor is a gorgeous example of Porsche's high-end offerings of the day, as the Carrera 2 Coupe cost about 9000 Deutschemarks more than your standard 356C Coupe.
This listing is abysmally short on information, however. They score very low marks for not having listed the engine number, or provided any history on the car itself. It is a gorgeous Oslo Blue over light brown, but it all appears to be recently applied, and we don't know for sure when the restoration was completed, or who did the work. There are no pictures of the engine compartment, or the underside of the car at all. When you're asking near-on a million dollars for a coupe, it's a good idea to be as thorough as possible with your listing. Personally, I have not yet seen any Carrera coupes sell for anywhere near that high of a price, though Cabriolets and Speedsters have been huge earners in recent years. In any case, if you are looking for a Carrera 2 coupe to complete your Porsche collection, this one might be the one you need. Make sure you have it checked out religiously by a four-cam expert before signing on the dotted line. As we always recommend, buyer beware.
See some more photos and minimal information on the eBay listing here.
- RELATEDDriving Emory Outlaws' Incredible and Sinister Porsche 356Rod Emory is the original Porsche Outlaw.READ NOW
- RELATEDMark Pribanic's Outlaw 356 Embodies Iconic Porsche ValuesFerry Porsche was once famously quoted as saying "Our cars are meant to be driven. Not polished." Mark tends to keep that sentiment close to heart.READ NOW
- RELATEDPorsche 356 Pre-A Project For Sale, Some Rust, Needs WorkMinor restoration might be needed to resurrect this 356 from the grave, but it's likely the least expensive way to get into a 356 right now. The aircooled craze is all the rage these days!READ NOW
- RELATEDPorsche's 'Restaurant 356' Planning Coca Cola-Inspired Prix Fixe Menu To Honor Bob Akin RacingPorsche's in-house restaurant within the Porsche Experience Center Atlanta, is hosting a new and creative Coca Cola-inspired menu of dishes to honor Bob Akin Racing's contribution to Porsche's history. Make your reservation now!READ NOW
- RELATEDThis 356 Speedster "Barn Find" Just Sold For $605,000The Auctions America sale in Hilton Head, SC this weekend produced this hugely surprising sale number. I'm sure the seller is pretty happy with the result.READ NOW