Two Old Rivals: Porsche 911 Carrera S Vs. Corvette Grand Sport
For decades the 911 and the Corvette have gone up against each other in magazine tests, on public roads, and on race tracks. The C7 generation Corvette and 991.2 Carrera S have really pumped up the game this time. Place your bets!
Porsche has created a real gem with the new 991.2 Carrera S. As tested by the Motor Trend staff driver, racing legend Randy Pobst, the new Carrera S is faster around the track than the old Turbo and the old GT3. Then again, Chevrolet has made the Corvette all the more badass with the new Grand Sport iteration. This new Chevy has magnetically-controlled dampers, 460 horsepower, and hellacious downforce. Neither of these cars are to be taken lightly, but they accomplish their speed in entirely different manners. Where the Carrera S is calculating and employs finesse, the Grand Sport is all brute force and sticky tires.
At the end of the day, it's unlikely these two cars will be cross-shopped as the Carrera S is quite a bit more expensive than the Corvette, but Jonny Lieberman and Jason Cammisa have these two nearly neck-and-neck in this competition. While they do end up tipping the decision to the raucous, loud, and brash American, on merit of it barely winning out on track, they can't say enough good things about the Porsche either. The fact of the matter is, if you want a great car, buy the Porsche. Then again, maybe I'm biased.
[Source: Motor Trend Channel on YouTube]
- RELATEDThe Corvette Grand Sport Is the Thinking Man's VetteA V-8 track bruiser for four-cylinder Porsche money.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Chevy Corvette Grand Sport ReturnsIt's not a de-powered Z06. It's a grippier, better-looking Stingray. Shut up and take our money.READ NOW
- RELATEDChris Brown's New 911 Turbo S Porsche Looks IncredibleIts body kit is... about as aggressive as he is.READ NOW
- RELATED2017 Porsche Panamera Turbo Runs the Nurburgring As Fast As the Carrera GTWe have trouble believing you, Porsche. You should let us try it for ourselves.READ NOW
- RELATED7 of the Most Powerful Porsche 911s in the WorldWhat happens when Earth's most balanced cars succumb to horsepower fever.READ NOW