You Really Need To Watch This Wild Porsche Carrera Cup Race At Le Mans
This is nine manic laps of racing, proving that single-make racing still has a place in the world of motorsports.
Every year, ahead of the start of the 24 hours of Le Mans, Porsche hosts a Carrera Cup race with dozens of competitors from across Europe, including Carrera Cup GB, Carrera Cup BeNeLux, and Carrera Cup France. There are, inevitably, some racers that jump in just for the Le Mans run, because it's the biggest event of the series season. Being that the race is held with identically prepared GT3 Cup cars (using the same 4-liter engine as found in the new GT3), the racing is spectacularly tight and stays that way for every single second of green flag action. It isn't often that GT3 Cup cars have to worry about slipstreaming or "drafting" as we call it in the US, but when you have the long Mulsanne straight those cars really cut a huge hole in the air.
As exciting as the 24 Hours of Le Mans race was when it took place just a few hours after this Cup race, this race is incredible to watch. Take 45 minutes and watch this race. The action begins at about the 13:45 mark in the video.
The race does feature a yellow-flag event on the very first lap, but that's to be expected when you're trying to shove nearly 60 cars down into turn 1 with many of the drivers being quite young. Exhuberance and bravado help these drivers pull off incredible moves on each other, but they occasionally step a few millimeters beyond the edge. There are passes up the inside, round the outside, and straight up drag races down the straights. It's just purely incredible to witness. We won't spoil the finish, but at the very least you need to watch the final lap. It's just so good.
- RELATEDWould You Want to Drive a Porsche 911 GT3 Cup on the Street?295 section width front and 325 section width rear Pirelli Trofeo R tires make the difference.READ NOW
- RELATEDOmani Teenager Wins Porsche GT3 Cup Race In BahrainThe penultimate round victory in the Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge Middle East season was taken by Al Faisal Al Zubair, an 18-year-old with mega skills.READ NOW
- RELATEDHG & BBi Team To Build A GT3 Cup Car For The StreetThe guys from Motor Affair take this Street Cup for a run to the hillsREAD NOW
- RELATEDCheck Out CJ Wilson's First Laps In A Porsche GT3 Cup CarThe southpaw pitcher is trading in his mitt for a pair of racing gloves and turns out he's pretty damn quickREAD NOW
- RELATED2017 Porsche 911 GT3 Cup Makes Pre-Season Testing Debut In AlabamaBarber Motorsports Park Hosted Five IMSA GT3 Cup Teams To Test Out Their New CarsREAD NOW