Drive Wire for November 30th, 2016: Porsche Hopes to Sell 20,000 Mission E Electric Cars a Year
The guys in Stuttgart are shooting high with their upcoming Tesla fighter.
Hey there. Eric Goeres here for Drive Wire on November 30th, 2016.
Today on Drive Wire: Porsche's CEO announced the automaker is looking to sell 20,000 Mission E electric cars per year.
When speaking with automotive publication Automobilwoche earlier this week, Porsche CEO Oliver Blume explained the German automaker's ambitious production plans for its upcoming Tesla-fighting Mission E electric sedan.
20,000 cars produced is 33 percent more than the 15,000 car prediction Bloomberg ran with in July and it's 10,000 more cars than what Porsche board member Uwe Hueck said was required to break even in the new model year. In 2015, 20,000 cars sold would have been just under 10 percent of the automaker's sales for the year.
For those who need a reminder, the Mission E, which we first saw at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September 2015, is a 600-horsepower, all-wheel-drive electric sedan which Porsche claimed will be capable of launching from zero to 62 miles-per-hour in less than 3.5 seconds and that will be able to to travel 310 miles on a single charge. Those things are all pretty tall claims, but if Porsche can make it happen- good for them.
That’s it for Drive Wire on November 30th, 2016. I’m Eric Goeres; thanks for watching, and please check out The Drive for more on the big stories from the transportation world.
- RELATEDDrive Wire for November 29th, 2016: Jeep Plans Six More Wrangler Special EditionsBecause who doesn't love a good special edition?READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for November 28th, 2016: Callaway Is Already Planning To Supercharge The Camaro ZL1Because 640hp is just not enough.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for November 25, 2016: Half of all Jaguar Land Rover Models Will Be Hybrid or Electric by 2020CEO Dr. Ralf Speth made the announcement at the Los Angeles Auto Show.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for November 23, 2016: UC Berkeley Researchers Create a Mind-Controlled TeslaScience!READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire For November 22nd, 2016: Disney-Pixar Releases Cars 3 TrailerIt's awfully dark for a kids movie.READ NOW