Drive Wire for November 18, 2016: The 2018 Jeep Compass Makes U.S. Debut at the L.A. Auto Show
Americans only get one engine, but at least we can spec a stick.
Hey there. Will Sabel Courtney here for Drive Wire on November 18th, 2016.
Today on Drive Wire: The all-new 2017 Jeep Compass made its U.S. debut at the Los Angeles Auto Show this week.
The new Compass first broke cover in September, but the L.A. show marks the first time it has been seen on American soil.
The compact SUV, which is based on a modified version of the Jeep Renegade’s platform, will replace the ancient Compass and Patriot twins, which date back to 2006.
While the vehicle will be offered with 17 different engine and transmission choices around the world, the American market will be restricted to one motor: a 2.4-liter turbocharged four-cylinder making 180 horsepower and 175 pound-feet of torque. We will be able to choose between two- and four-wheel-drive, however; a six-speed manual will be offered on both models, with a six-speed automatic on offer for front-wheel-drive Compasses and a nine-speed auto available on four-wheel-drive ones,
Among the U.S. models of the Compass is a new Trailhawk model, which brings serious off-roading chops to the compact SUV’s lineup. That model offers a 34-degree departure angle, an 30-degree approach angle, and a 20:1 crawl ratio, among other features designed to help it conquer the trails.
That’s it for Drive Wire on November 18th, 2016. I’m Will Sabel Courtney; thanks for watching, and please check out The Drive for more on the big stories from the transportation world.
- RELATEDDrive Wire for November 17th, 2016: What Has Debuted at the L.A. Auto Show So Far.See everything from a mid-engined Porsche to a NISMO Sentra.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire For November 16th, 2016: GM Finally Reveals the Chevy Colorado ZR2It's as if Chevy knows what we have been dreaming about.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for November 16, 2016: Man In Mustang Doing 208 MPH Arrested in OklahomaHow did this even happen?READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for November 15, 2016: Our Best Look At the Mid-Engined Porsche 911 RSRThe German race car will be officially unveiled this week at the Los Angeles Auto Show.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for November 14, 2016: The 2018 Audi A5 Will Offer a Manual TransmissionWe're safe for another year.READ NOW