Drive Wire for November 11, 2016: Audi to Double Its High-Performance RS Lineup by 2018
A new RS 4 and RS 5 are among the likely additions.
Hey there. Will Sabel Courtney here for Drive Wire on November 11th, 2016.
Today on Drive Wire: Audi plans to add eight more high-performance RS models to its lineup in the next year and a half, according to the head of the carmaker’s performance group.
Stephan Winkelmann revealed the broad strokes of the plan to Autocar in a recent interview, stating that Quattro GmbH will effectively double the number of RS vehicles it builds between now and early 2018.
Currently, Audi offers eight RS models, including the RS 7, the RS 6 Avant, the TT RS, and the R8 supercar.
Winkelmann didn’t offer specific details about what cars would be added to the portfolio, but a new RS 4 sedan, an RS 5 coupe and cabriolet, and an RS 6 sedan all seem like logical additions to the current lineup, given that Audi has built those models before but doesn’t offer them today.
But unlike his competitors at Mercedes-AMG, Winkelmann says Quattro won’t build an RS model for every possible vehicle in the Audi lineup.
That’s it for Drive Wire on November 11th, 2016. I’m Will Sabel Courtney; thanks for watching, and please check out The Drive for more on the big stories from the transportation world.
- RELATEDDrive Wire For November 10, 2016: President Donald Trump Will Roll Up to the White House in a Brand New CadillacIt'll be the latest stage in a lengthy relationship between the billionaire and the brand.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire For November 9, 2016: Airbus's Project Vahana May Reduce Congested CommutingWho would say no to a self-flying quadcopter on demand?READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for November 9, 2016: NASA Report Indicates Emdrive Actually WorksBut there is a lot of explaining to do.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for November 8, 2016: The Grand Tour Destroyed 27 Cars and Drove 1.4 Billion MilesSo claims a hyperbolic Jeremy Clarkson in the latest trailer.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for November 7, 2016: Ford Says 2017 F-150 Raptor Orders Are Coming In FastThe truck is also proving exceedingly popular on Ford's website.READ NOW