Drive Wire for October 31st, 2016: Elon Musk Reveals His Solar Roof Tiles
New type of solar panels could be the key to Tesla's home-charging plans.
Hey there. Will Sabel Courtney here for Drive Wire on October 31st, 2016.
Today on Drive Wire: Elon Musk has revealed his plans for a new form of solar panels he hopes will enable a new, seamless era of electric car and home charging.
On Friday, Musk revealed his new solar panel roof tiles at an event in Hollywood. The solar tiles are designed to resemble traditional roofing materials, making them virtually indistinguishable from a regular roof.
Musk said the tempered glass panels are as tough as steel, can be outfitted with heaters to enable them to melt snow, and will never wear out.
Upping the appeal of roof-based solar panels could be a major win for Tesla, making it easier than ever for owners to charge their cars and houses alike from the sun’s rays.
At the same event, Musk also unveiled the latest version of his company’s Powerwall home energy storage batteries, which packs more than double the capacity of the outgoing version.
Of course, before Musk can go ahead with the latest phase of his master plan, he still needs shareholders to sign off on Tesla’s $2.2 billion acquisition of SolarCity, the solar panel company he co-founded.
That’s it for Drive Wire on October 31st, 2016. I’m Will Sabel Courtney; thanks for watching, and please check out The Drive for more on the big stories from the transportation world.
- RELATEDDrive Wire for October 31st, 2016: Uber Reveals More of Its Plans for Flying CarsThe “Uber Elevate” program could bring VTOL transportation to the masses.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for October 28, 2016: Portland Subaru Accidentally Stolen After Being Mistaken for Another SubaruOnly to be returned by the apologetic thief—along with gas money.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for October 27, 2016: Audi Is Leaving the World Endurance ChampionshipThe 13 time Le Mans winning manufacturer will focus on Formula E for 2017 and beyond.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for October 26, 2016: Uber's Self-Driving Truck Makes Its First Delivery—50,000 Cans of BeerOtto's autonomous big rig crosses 120 miles of Colorado toting a trailer of Bud.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for October 26, 2016: Mercedes-Benz Reveals the Brand's First Pickup Truck, the X-ClassConcept previews a production model expected to arrive next year.READ NOW