Drive Wire for October 27, 2016: Audi Is Leaving the World Endurance Championship
The 13 time Le Mans winning manufacturer will focus on Formula E for 2017 and beyond.
Hey There. Devin Altieri here for Drive Wire on October 27, 2016.
Today on Drive Wire: After recent rumors, Audi has confirmed that they are axing their prototype program in the World Endurance Championship at the end of the 2016 season.
Audi has been an absolutely dominant force in the LMP1 class since they joined in 1999, winning the 24 Hours of Le Mans an impressive 13 times.
Instead, Audi intends to focus on their efforts in the all-electric FIA Formula E series. Audi Chairman Rupert Stadler said the switch to an all-electric racing series was important for the manufacturer as Audi cars become increasingly electric powered.
As for Audi’s other racing commitments, the carmaker has re-upped their intention to stay in the DTM series and FIA World Rallycross is still on the table, but not yet confirmed.
That’s it for Drive Wire on October 27th, 2016. I’m Devin Altieri; thanks for watching, and please check out The Drive for more on the big stories from the transportation world.
- RELATEDDrive Wire for October 26, 2016: Uber's Self-Driving Truck Makes Its First Delivery—50,000 Cans of BeerOtto's autonomous big rig crosses 120 miles of Colorado toting a trailer of Bud.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for October 26, 2016: Mercedes-Benz Reveals the Brand's First Pickup Truck, the X-ClassConcept previews a production model expected to arrive next year.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for October 25th, 2016: Honda CEO Wants Most U.S. Sales to Be EVs and Hybrids By 2030The automaker has quite a bit of work to do to make that goal.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for October 24th, 2016: Airbus Reveals Plans for Autonomous Flying Car Called “Vahana”Single-seat VTOL platform could serve as an Uber of the skies.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for October 24, 2016: BMW Films's The Escape, Starring Clive Owen, DebutsThe short film also stars Dakota Fanning, Jon Bernthal, and the new BMW 5 Series.READ NOW