Drive Wire for October 20, 2016: All New Teslas Will Come With Self-Driving Tech
The next step towards fully-autonomous electric cars from the Silicon Valley automaker.
Hey there. Will Sabel Courtney here for Drive Wire on October 20th, 2016.
In a blog post that went live last night, Tesla detailed the self-driving hardware that will be built into every one of its vehicles going forward. Every new Model S, Model X, and upcoming Model 3 will come with eight cameras that can see around the entire car, a more advanced sonar package with a dozen sensors, a new radar system, and a new computer Tesla says is 40 times more powerful than the existing unit.
Add it all up, and Tesla says the new cars will have all the technology they need for completely autonomous driving.
The rollout of self-driving features will be slow at first. At first, the vehicles with the new hardware will have some existing Autopilot features restricted, including collision warning and active cruise control. Those features will eventually be activated using over-the-air updates, Tesla says.
That’s it for Drive Wire on October 20th, 2016. I’m Will Sabel Courtney; thanks for watching, and please check out The Drive for more on the big stories from the transportation world.
- RELATEDDrive Wire for October 17, 2016: Apple May Have Canned Its Plans to Build a CarNew report suggests the tech giant will rededicate itself to self-driving technology.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for October 14th, 2016: Germany Warning Tesla Owners About AutopilotThe government has begun sending owners letters reminding them to pay attention behind the wheel.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for October 13th, 2016: Ken Block Reveals 1,400-HP Twin-Turbo “Hoonicorn” Ford MustangBecause sometimes 845 horsepower isn't enough.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for October 18, 2016: Man Allegedly Cons Women Into Buying Him Expensive Sports CarsThe 28-year-old was arrested after allegedly fleeing in his white Lamborghini Gallardo.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for October 19, 2016: DeLorean Taking Pre-Orders for New 2017 DMC-12 Sports CarsBut the company would like to know a little about you before it sells you one.READ NOW