Drive Wire for October 18, 2016: Man Allegedly Cons Women Into Buying Him Expensive Sports Cars
The 28-year-old was arrested after allegedly fleeing in his white Lamborghini Gallardo.
Hey there. Will Sabel Courtney here for Drive Wire on October 18th, 2016.
Today on Drive Wire: A Missouri man is being accused of running a con in which he convinced women he met through online dating to buy him expensive cars while masquerading as a federal law enforcement officer.
Timothy Rossell, 28, was captured on October 13th in Illinois after fleeing his fiancée in Union, Missouri, in a white 2014 Lamborghini Gallardo.
According to police, Rossell, who reportedly told his 27-year-old fiancée he was a U.S. marshal named Austyn Gardner, convinced her to buy him a Cadillac Escalade, a Ford Mustang, and a Can-Am Spyder.
The white Lamborghini, in turn, was reportedly purchased for Rossell by another 27-year-old woman in Florida, who also purportedly bought him a 2016 Corvette Z06.
She also told police she had loaned him $27,000.
Police say Rossell fled after his fiancée discovered credit cards opened in her name that she was unaware of, as well as federal I.D that listed him with a different name.
He was reportedly caught in trying to buy a bus ticket in Effingham, Illinois; his Lamborghini had developed a flat tire.
That’s it for Drive Wire on October 17th, 2016. I’m Will Sabel Courtney; thanks for watching, and please check out The Drive for more on the big stories from the transportation world.
- RELATEDDrive Wire for October 10, 2016: Google Outfits First Self-Driving Chrysler Pacifica Minivan PrototypesWith the influx of 100 minivans from FCA, Google's fleet will more than double.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for October 12, 2016: Ford Stops Mustang Production After September Sales SlumpBut the Mustang is still trouncing the Camaro in sales for the year.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for October 11th, 2016: San Marino Rally Crash Kills 1, Injures 8A Renault Clio rally car went flying straight into the crowd.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for October 13th, 2016: Ken Block Reveals 1,400-HP Twin-Turbo “Hoonicorn” Ford MustangBecause sometimes 845 horsepower isn't enough.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for October 14th, 2016: Germany Warning Tesla Owners About AutopilotThe government has begun sending owners letters reminding them to pay attention behind the wheel.READ NOW