Drive Wire for October 7, 2016: Ford’s Shelby GT350 Mustang Could Get a Paddle-Shift Transmission
New rumor suggests a dual-clutch gearbox could make its way to the super-'Stang.
Hey there, Will Sabel Courtney here for Drive Wire on October 7th, 2016.
Today on Drive Wire: A new report suggests the Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 could get a dual-clutch transmission option in the near future.
According to evidence reportedly found by the Mustang-lovers at Mustang6G.com, the GT350 could add a DCT in the next couple years.
The transmission would reportedly not replace the current six-speed manual used in the car, but be offered alongside it on the options sheet.
Ford currently uses dual-clutch transmissions on both the low and high end of its lineup, with a six-speed unit used in the Fiesta and a seven-speed version in the upcoming Ford GT supercar.
It’s not clear whether the Shelby would use a six- or seven-speed transmission.
Adopting a dual-clutch transmission would make it a little easier for the Shelby to fight the new Chevy Camaro ZL1, which will come with a choice of six-speed manual and 10-speed automatic when it goes on sale.
And considering many two-pedal sports cars these days are faster than their three-pedal siblings, we wouldn’t be shocked if a dual-clutch GT350 was quicker around the track than the manual version…
…if, of course, these rumors turn out to be true.
That’s it for Drive Wire on October 7th, 2016. I’m Will Sabel Courtney; thanks for watching, and please check out The Drive.com for more on today’s big stories.
- RELATEDDrive Wire for October 5th, 2016: Subaru Reveals Japan-Only WRX S4 tS Special EditionA WRX packed with plenty of cool features...and one not-so-cool one.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for October 4, 2016: Fisker Plans to Reveal New Electric Car Next YearNew model will be the “spiritual successor” to the Fisker Karma, bossman says.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for October 3, 2016: Dutch Company Turns Tesla Model S Into a HearseThere's no reason your final ride can't be eco-friendly.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for October 3, 2016: Delphi Wants to Bring Self-Driving Taxis to More CitiesAn expansion of the test in Singapore planned for next year.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for September 20th, 2016: Tech Bigwigs Want to Restrict Seattle-to-Vancouver Highway to Self-Driving VehiclesNew proposal seeks to ban human drivers from Interstate 5 most of the time.READ NOW