Drive Wire for August 19th, 2016: BMW Rolls Out a Repainted 2002 Hommage for Pebble Beach
After a launch this April, the curvy, retro coupe makes a debut in orange and black.
We're in love with BMW’s 2002 Hommage, a rakish concept car that closely recalls the BMW 2002 of the 1970s. The original iteration of the concept was a very light blue; now, the retro coupe wears an orange and black livery that BMW maintains is “synonymous… with the triumphs of the Seventies.” The wheels, now, are gold.
Underneath the vintage-style, carbon-fiber bodywork, the 2002 Hommage is a BMW M2, complete with that car’s 3-liter, turbocharged straight-six. Accidentally or otherwise, that engine choice pays tribute to the racing-equipped BMW 2002s of the late 70s, which were the first turbocharged cars in Europe.
Despite resting atop a production platform, BMW has no plans to produce the 2002 Hommage, whose carbon body and aggressive front spoiler might make it less-than-prepared for the street. Still, just photos are working for us.
- RELATEDDrive Wire for August 18th, 2016: Lamborghini Confirms Centenario Roadster for Pebble BeachThe celebration of the Lamborghini Miura's 50th birthday continues.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for August 17th, 2016: McLaren Reveals Special 570GT for Pebble BeachMcLaren Special Operations whips up a black-and-white one-off with a high-tech roof.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for August 17, 2016: Hyundai Set to Partner With Google On Autonomous CarsThe Korean automaker needs some tech expertise to catch up to catch up to competitors.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for August 16, 2016: Cadillac Offers Sneak Peek of Its Pebble Beach Concept CarWe'll have to wait until Thursday to see the whole vehicle.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for August 15th: Lyft Declines GM's Purchase OfferInstead of looking for an owner, Lyft is focusing on its next round of fund-raising.READ NOW