Drive Wire: June 21, 2016
Is Tesla Secretly Adding Power to the Model S P90D?
Update, 1:10pm: Tesla has told The Drive that it cannot confirm any changes to the Model S's powertrain, and horsepower and torque figures for the Model S P 90D Ludicrous remain as stated on the carmaker's website.
For today's installment of Drive Wire, The Drive is discussing reports that Tesla Motors may have secretly bumped up the power output of some of its top-tier Model S electric cars. The Model S P 90D with the Ludicrous Speed upgrade has consistently been shown to make around 450 kW of power in the past, but copies of the car made within the last few months have been in independent testing shown to generate more than 490 kW, with reports coming in that the newest versions are both faster and have a longer range than older, ostensibly identical cars. Could this mean Tesla is sneaking bigger batteries into its cars than it claims? Find out about that and more, in the video above.
- RELATEDDrive Wire: June 20, 2016A tragedy unfolds in Hollywood.READ NOW
- RELATEDAnother Tesla Model S May Have Crashed While Driving ItselfCalifornia woman claims Autopilot drove her straight into the back of another car.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire: Tesla Recalls Every Model SREAD NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire: Tesla's Model X is Cheaper Than ExpectedREAD NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire: Tesla Model S Downgraded by Consumer ReportsREAD NOW