Good news for diesel fans – BMW has a new quad turbo engine in the pipeline. Yes, that’s four turbos, two low-pressure units feeding two high-pressure units to pressurize a three-liter inline six. That should be good for 394 horsepower and 561lb-ft of torque, while returning an increase of five percent fuel efficiency over the old three-turbo motor. The four-turbo unit will debut in an upcoming 750d x-drive sedan, and will reportedly also make an appearance in performance-oriented “M” models, such as a new m550d sports sedan and even SUVs based on the X5 and X6.
- RELATEDBMW 740e Spearheads New iPerformance LineThink of it as M Performance, except for the environmentally conscious.READ NOW
- RELATED2016 BMW i3 Quick ReviewCritic's notebook takeaway: Plug ugly future shockREAD NOW
- RELATEDAC Schnitzer Breathes Heavy Diesel Fumes on BMW 1 SeriesHow do 400 horsepower and 590 pound-feet of torque strike you?READ NOW
- RELATEDAlpina B7 vs. BMW M760i xDriveThe battle of the big Bavarian brothers.READ NOW
- RELATEDAudi Makes a Limo And Infiniti Takes on the BMW M3: The Evening RushPlus, Dark Horse Brewing Co and M Grills have got your cook-out covered.READ NOW