Great scott! The DeLorean may be back for an encore. A Texas outfit called the DeLorean motor company— no relation to the original— intends to make 325 replicas each year. Thanks to something called the low volume motor vehicle manufacturers act of 2015, DMC is allowed to make a few hundred replicas a year as long as they meet emissions standards. Fortunately that means they will not be using the old abomination of an engine and will likely use a more efficient and more powerful V-6. This new DMC plans to start production on their replicas next year, but they’re still working out pricing and so on. Whatever the final tweaks may be, we’re happy someone’s taking a chance on going back to… you know. The 80s.
- RELATEDFrom American Express, a DeLorean to Make Doc Brown WinceLots of people left home without it.READ NOW
- RELATEDForget Lyft’s DeLorean, Here’s a Dodge Viper Time MachineYou probably won’t get to ride in a DeLorean tomorrow. Here’s your V-10 tissue.READ NOW
- RELATEDPutsch Racing’s DeLorean Is almost as Cool as Doc’sC’mon, let’s see this baby do 88.READ NOW
- RELATEDStanford’s Autonomous DeLorean? It’s Actually a Renovo CoupeSilicon Valley tie-up is a match made in retro-electro heaven.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe DeLorean Motor Company Was Stranger Than FictionIn an ambitious new book, Glenn Patterson novelizes the story of John Z. DeLorean’s doomed sports car company.READ NOW