This Real-World BMW Flying Motorcycle Concept Is Based on a Lego Kit
What started life as a project between Lego and BMW Motorrad is now a full-size hoverbike concept to be displayed at Lego World.
In late 2016, Lego and BMW's Motorrad motorcycle division released a 603-piece kit that allowed you to assemble a miniature version of the BMW R 1200 GS Adventure bike. Being a 2-in-1 kit—meaning, you can reconfigure the pieces to make a completely different model—the plans also called for a futuristic hoverbike that used the model's front wheel as a propeller.
The team at BMW Motorrad apparently had so much fun with the project that they built a life-size version of the flying motorcycle, called the Hover Ride Concept, according to Autoblog. Unfortunately (and unsurprisingly) it's not a working model, but it does look insanely badass, and will be making various promotional stops, including to Lego World in Copenhagen, Denmark, and to BMW's Group Research and Innovation Center Munich and the company's nearby Welt exhibition center.
If you can't make it to Welt or Lego World, you can still buy the Lego kit online for just $59.99.
- RELATEDThis Timelapse Lego Build of a Life-Size Vintage Ford Mustang Is MesmerizingLego used 194,900 tiny bricks for the build.READ NOW
- RELATEDSeven Favorite Vintage BMW Motorcycles Up for AuctionThe best of three dozen vintage bikes crossing the block in France.READ NOW
- RELATEDHonda Brings a Self-Balancing Motorcycle to CESYour days of embarrassing yourself on a bike are over.READ NOW
- RELATEDHonda’s Motorcycle Division Is Rolling into RidesharingThe world's largest motorcycle manufacturer has made a strategic investment in Asian ridesharing company Grab.READ NOW
- RELATEDCheck Out This Porsche 919 Hybrid LMP1 Built Entirely Of LegoBrick by brick, one super fan built Porsche's 2015 Le Mans winning prototype out of Lego. I'm blown away.READ NOW