Racing Under the Lights at Central Texas Speedway
The State of Texas Racing, Volume 1: loud, fast, dirty, and fun at the Affordable Golf Cars 250.
Central Texas Speedway hosted their final races of the season last weekend in Kyle, Texas. The Affordable Golf Cars 250 is not named for a 250 mile race on their 3/8 mile tri-oval, but for the total number of laps to be covered by the 8 races on the evening's docket.
Local tracks provide level of excitement you don't get on super speedways. Contact is plentiful and there are plenty of spins and wrecks. The entire track is visible from anywhere in the stands and there are lots of available seats just feet from the racing action. Tickets are cheap and the food and beer are even cheaper. The parade of endless yellow flags give you ample time to hit the bathroom or pay attention to your date.
Passion wins out over bright lights and fame at local tracks. But that passion makes for high entertainment. And on a night like last Saturday, you may even get to see a senior racer give his trophy to a random five year old in the stands, passing on the torch to the next generation of racers.
- RELATEDPhoto Essay: 2016 SVRA Vintage NationalsThe SVRA U.S. Vintage National Championship brought beautiful cars and entertaining racing to Austin last weekend.READ NOW
- RELATEDBernie Ecclestone Won’t Mess With TexasFormula 1 boss talks to The Drive about Austin GP’s hopes for future.READ NOW
- RELATEDAn Exploding Truck Full of Takata Airbag Parts Killed a Woman in TexasThe blast completely obliterated the woman's home.READ NOW
- RELATEDVienna Automobile Society Is a New Kind of Racing GamePart puzzle, part twitch game, this multiplayer is all about the fundamentals.READ NOW
- RELATEDAMA Pro Flat Track is The Last Great Spectacle in RacingThere's nothing like it.READ NOW