This Tesla Vs. Lamborghini Drag Race Has Surprising Results
All-wheel-drive speed demons face off in a battle for straight-line supremacy.
The speed-hungry madmen behind the DragTimes YouTube channel pitted a Tesla Model S against a Lamborghini Huracan in a drag race. And as it turns out, the results of this flat-out battle for straight-line supremacy wind up being pretty damn close.
For the video, DragTimes conducted a drag race between a Tesla Model S P 85D with Ludicrous Mode (which Tesla has since replaced with the P90D model) and a Lamborghini LP 610-4 Huracán. In case you need a reminder, the P 85D Ludicrous Mode-equipped Model S has two electric motors powering all four wheels, with a maximum battery output of 532 horsepower. The Lamborghini Huracán, on the other hand, makes 602 horsepower from its blissfully-loud 5.2-liter V-10 engine. The Huracán is a purpose-built super sports car, while the Model S is, well, an electrically-powered five-seater sedan. If it were any other four-door—even the new Porsche Panamera Turbo—we'd say this wouldn't be a fair fight...
...except the Tesla and the Lamborghini regularly lay down similar 0 to 60 mph times. And the Model S's electric motors deliver all their torque instantly, at zero rpm; combine that with all-wheel-drive traction, and the Ludicrous Tesla leaps off the line with, ludicrous vigor. (There's a reason the world's fastest-accelerating car uses the same layout.)
The Lamborghini's gearing and aerodynamics mean, given enough time and room to gain speed, it will ultimately wind up taking the lead. After all, the Huracán tops out north of 202 miles per hour; the P 85D only makes it to 155 mph before it runs out of poke. But will the Tesla-versus-Lamborghini drag race in this video run long enough for the Huracán to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat?
Only one way to find out.
- RELATEDBond Upgrade: The $1.7m DeepFlight Dragon Underwater QuadcopterIt even has a “beach landing” mode.READ NOW
- RELATEDNHRA Drag Racing in Super Slow-Mo is Borderline PornographicSometimes fast looks better slow.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Motorcycle Drag Racer's Night Went Very Wrong, Very FastBike and rider went flying down the track—but not in the usual way.READ NOW
- RELATEDDid Elon Musk "Steal" Someone's Tesla Model S?One customer claims the company brass swiped his sedan. Here's the truth.READ NOW
- RELATED11-year-old in Lamborghini Huracan Smokes Man in CorvetteThe children are our future and that future is fast.READ NOW