Listen to Hennessey’s 1000-hp Corvette Z06 Raise Hell on the Dyno
Crank up the speakers for this one.
Of all Hennessey's tuned American muscle cars, sports cars, and SUVs, none may be as insane as the modified Corvette Z06 the company dubs the HPE1000. Hennessey's name actually sells the car short; the HPE1000 Corvette actually makes 1,008-hp at 6,500 rpm and 823 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,000 rpm. In case you don't have a calculator handy, that's 358 more horses and 173 more pound-feet than Chevrolet's stock version.
To pull that off, Hennessey upgraded the Z06's supercharged V-8 from soup to nuts. Displacement grew from 6.2 to 6.8 liters, and it was fitted with a new 4-inch Stroker crankshaft. There are new billet connecting rods, designed to work in concert with the longer stroke. New intercoolers and a new supercharger help cram more air than ever down the engine's maw, while 1.75-inch exhaust headers route the outflow into dual 3-inch exhausts on its way to the quad tailpipes. And an "extreme duty" intercooler system helps keep the occasionally heat-sensitive Z06 cool, even in the Texas heat.
All told, building a 1,000-horsepower Corvette with a one-year/12,000-mile warranty motor reportedly took Hennessey a year of development. The resulting car, though, can leap from 0-60 in 2.5 seconds, run the quarter-mile in 9.7 seconds at 147 mph, and given enough room to run, top out north of 220 miles an hour.
Impressive stats, sure. But you will immediately forget all of them the moment you hear this monster clear its throat and roar up to redline on the dynamometer.
Don't worry, they'll come back to you again the moment the driver lifts off the throttle and the car calms down. But they'll be gone again a second later, when the HPE1000 Corvette's engine winds up again, leaving you unable to form a cogent thought due to the animal lust overtaking you.
Then it'll happen again. And again. And again. Until, by the end of the video, you're left a slathering pile of pure instinct, clawing at your computer screen like a zombie in the irrational belief that if you try hard enough, you'll eventually touch this blue beauty.
- RELATEDDrive Wire: Go Buy This Racetrack From HennesseyREAD NOW
- RELATEDHennessey Challenger Hellcat Makes 1,032 Twincharged HorsepowerYo dawg, we heard you like wheelspin.READ NOW
- RELATEDHennessey Venom GT Sets New Speed Record for Topless SupercarsLotus-based supercar leaves the Bugatti Veyron Super Sport Vitesse well in its rearview.READ NOW
- RELATEDRevised Hennessey Venom GT Spyder Produces 1,451 HorsepowerProof that no one tells a Texan what he can or can’t do.READ NOW
- RELATEDAriel's Offroader and Hennessey's 1000-hp Corvette: The Evening RushPlus, the ultimate action cam and patriotic swim trunks from Chubbies.READ NOW