Watch This Epic Cobra vs. Cobra Race Finish
Vintage racing is no place for the faint of heart (or light of foot).
Think the South Coast of Britain is a nice place for a quiet holiday? Guess again. That's where these two classic Cobras came to wage war, going at it hammer and tongs during the 74th annual Goodwood Members Meeting. Dueling at twilight, Joe Twyman's green Daytona coupe takes on Shaun Lynn's red-and-white Cobra, both spitting rage and flames as they trade places around the Goodwood Circuit.
The best vintage racing in the world takes place at the Goodwood. A curated collection of the greatest machines to ever turn a wheel do battle at speed, their drivers displaying the same panache and steely-eyed fortitude that racers had in the Fifties and Sixties. Sure, the cars are valuable antiques; to see these guys pedal at the limit, you'd never know it. It's like watching Olympic wrestlers break Louis XIV chairs over each others' heads.
Still, Twyman's Daytona Coupe is actually a replica; with just six examples ever built, some things are too rare to risk. But it's an exacting copy of the original, and it gets flogged to within an inch of its life. The Daytona launches out of the pits just ahead of the race-leading Cobra, and the two skitter along, locked in straight-pipe, V8-powered combat. It's one of the best vintage racing finishes we've ever seen.
The event is the Graham Hill Trophy, and you'd have to think the dapper two-time Formula 1 champion would have approved. Style, yes, but speed above all. That's the Goodwood way.
- RELATEDDrive Wire: An Original Competition Shelby Cobra Goes Up for AuctionREAD NOW
- RELATEDNew Mustang Cobra Jet: The Gnarliest Eight Seconds in SportsA $100k, solid rear axle, Whipple-blown, drag racing Mustang is our favorite Mustang.READ NOW
- RELATEDHave We Reached Peak Shelby?The legendary company’s new tuned Mustang EcoBoost costs $50,000 and adds 25 horsepower. Has Shelby American finally jumped the shark?READ NOW
- RELATEDJay Leno’s 2015 Shelby GT350R Sounds IncredibleCarroll Shelby would approve this macho Mustang.READ NOW
- RELATEDHennessey Supercharges the Mustang Shelby GT350Think natural-aspiration is for suckers? John Hennessey agrees. Here's his 800-horsepower argument-ender.READ NOW