Watch a Lamborghini Huracan Super Trofeo Come Apart in a Crash
Thankfully, no life-threatening injuries were sustained by anyone involved.
Lamborghini's Super Trofeo spec racing series' stop in Belgium at Spa-Francorchamps was interrupted by a monumental crash after a small collision destabilized the #32 car of Bonaldi Motorsport, driven by Fredrik Blomstedt.
Blomstedt, leading the race, was thumped by the competing MSG Motorsport car of Lucas Mauron as Mauron dodged slower traffic. This pushed Blomstedt into a slide which he was unable to recover, which took him across the grass and into a barrier behind which four race marshals were sheltering until they saw the errant Lamborghini coming their way.
The impact ripped the Huracan Super Trofeo's front end off, spinning the car around, and decimated the barrier it hit, chucking debris everywhere. All four marshals and Blomstedt sustained injuries according to Motorsport, but three marshals needed no medical attention. Super Trofeo organizer SRO Motorsports Group announced that one marshal and Blomstedt were transported to a nearby hospital, but that their injuries were not life-threatening.
The race was red-flagged as a consequence of the accident, reverting race results to a running order predating the crash, which gave then-leading Blomstedt the race win, despite his crash.
Damaged sustained to the marshal's post reportedly delayed the day's schedule by 90 minutes.
Racing is inherently dangerous, as it puts the human body in situations we as a species did not evolve to handle naturally: high speeds, tremendous G-forces, and extreme in-car temperatures are common to all forms of motorsport. When things go wrong, they typically do so at race pace, which is to say it can happen almost instantly, and tragic loss of life can result. Remember to stay safe while racing, at amateur levels or professional.
- RELATEDWatch the Lamborghini Aventador SVJ Bust the Nürburgring Lap RecordLamborghini confirmed the 6:44.97 rumors to be true, making the Aventador SVJ the fastest road-legal production car to lap the Nürburgring.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch a Drone Racer Compete With a Porsche 911 GT3 RS While Riding ShotgunLuke Bannister broke a drone-related Guinness World Record last week. Watch him race a drone against a Porsche 911 GT3 RS while sitting inside it.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch This Three-Rotor Peugeot 205 Go Wild at the Goodwood Festival of SpeedThis Peugeot 205 GTI has a mid-mounted three rotor engine, and boy is it rowdy.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Aston Martin DP215 Le Mans Prototype Could Sell for $25M at MontereyIf it does sell, this Aston will be the most expensive British car ever sold at public auction.READ NOW
- RELATED1985 Porsche 959 Prototype Expected to Go for Around $1.5 Million at AuctionIt's in the shadow of the Paris-Dakar 959 rally car going to the same auction, but it deserves our attention.READ NOW