Formula Drift Driver Federico Sceriffo Talks About Watching His Ferrari Drift Car Go Up in Flames
Sceriffo tells the story of one of the hardest moments in his life.
By now, you have probably seen the Ferrari Formula Drift car somewhere on the internet.
Sadly enough, if you've seen it before, you'll probably remember that In the first round of the Formula Drift 2018 season at Long Beach, the car caught fire during a Top 32 battle with driver Chelsea DeNofa. Rookie driver Frederico Sceriffo escaped unscathed and the fire was able to be extinguished.
Sceriffo owns up to the incident and says that the fire all started with a human mistake during a follow run in the Top 32. His supercharged machine touched the car in front of him, Chelsea DeNofa's Ford Mustang, and cracked the upper bolt of his upper control arm which Sceriffo did not feel or notice.
Sceriffo feels some regret not using a five-minute competition timeout as this would have allowed his crew to look over the car.
Going into turn one of the next battle at speed, the cracked bolt snapped causing the wheel to bounce around the Ferrari's fender and forcing Sceriffo to head off-track. The wheel eventually ripped a ground wire and a fuel line when he touched the wall at the end of his attempt to stop the car. The rest, as you know, is history.
Sceriffo recently sat down with YouTube channel VINwiki to talk about the Ferrari fire, who he previously chatted with to discuss the build process of his Ferrari drift car and how he started his FD career.
- RELATEDTwin-Supercharged Ferrari 599 Catches Fire in Formula Drift Debut EventDriver Federico Sceriffo had terrible luck in the first round of the 2018 Formula Drift season.READ NOW
- RELATEDFormula Drift Rookie Federico Sceriffo Talks About His Twin-Supercharged Ferrari Drift CarThe Italian sits down with YouTube channel VINwiki to talk about his career and the now-famous Ferrari 599-based drifter.READ NOW
- RELATEDFederico Sceriffo May Reveal Ferrari 599 For Next Formula Drift SeasonFederico Sceriffo may be next on the list of Formula Drift drivers who slide supercars.READ NOW
- RELATEDKristaps Bluss Grabs First Formula Drift Win at Road AtlantaAfter a night of so many one-more-time battles, Bluss grabs his first win at Formula Drift Round 3 at Road Atlanta.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch What It Takes to Fix a Broken Formula Drift Car Before the Next EventEnjuku Racing fixes Kevin Lawrence’s R32 Nissan Skyline after damage from Formula Drift Round 1 at Long Beach.READ NOW