Formula Drift Driver Ryan Tuerck Takes on an Autonomous Race Car
Who is better, human or machine? Roborace's DevBot takes on driver Ryan Tuerck.
The 2018 Formula Drift season is underway, and while Formula Drift driver Ryan Tuerck is particularly at home with his Ferrari V-8 engine powered work of art, the GT-4586 drift car, he recently headed to Rome to race out of his element.
There, Tuerck not only drove on the Formula E Rome street circuit, but also took on the DevBot, a development test mule based on a Le Mans prototype race car. It's part of preparations for a Roborace series featuring self-driving race cars.
The DevBot has the drivetrain and power of the future Robocars, plus a cockpit for a human, which future Robocars for the Roborace series will not have.
Hopping into the DevBot cockpit, Tuerck got a chance to test his skills. He went out and set some practice laps to get a feel for the car.
"Any mistake that you do, any corner that you brake too late, you're done," CEO of Roborace and defending Formula E Champion Lucas Di Grassi told Tuerck.
Tuerck then hopped out of the car to let it do its own thing: Take laps with its seat belts swaying and no human behind the wheel.
I will not spoil who won the challenge Ryan Tuerck or the DevBot. Roborace's feature RYAN TUERCK: Pro Drifter vs Autonomous Car in Human + Machine Challenge is below.
- RELATEDBehind the Scenes of Ryan Tuerck's GT4586 Portland ShootDonut Media shows what it took to make the GT4586 Portland shoot with Ryan Tuerck happen.READ NOW
- RELATEDRyan Tuerck Crashes His Ferrari V-8 Powered Toyota GT-4586The Toyota GT-4586 has been Tuerck'd.READ NOW
- RELATEDBlackOut: A New Series From Formula Drift Drivers Chris Forsberg and Ryan TuerckAs if Chris Forsberg wasn't busy enough already, he and Ryan Tuerck team up for a new YouTube series.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch Ryan Tuerck Try To Daily Drive His GT4586 Drift CarSurprise, he gets pulled over.READ NOW
- RELATEDPreview: 2018 Formula Drift Round in Orlando, FloridaThis weekend marks round two of the 2018 FD season in Orlando. Find out where drivers stand and pick up where the season left off at Long Beach.READ NOW