This Is the Mercedes W09 Formula 1 Car
Last year's champion has brought out the sequel to its winning W08. So how does it stack up against the competition?
Mercedes became the sixth team to formally launch its 2018 Formula 1 car, the W09, on Thursday.
Mercedes' W chassis prefix dates back to the original W01 prototype of the 1920s, which later developed into the W02 "Typ 8" midsize sedan. The W09 name is a procession of the naming scheme used since the W01 raced in 2010, in keeping with the name scheme used on the company's Grand Prix racing cars prior to the advent of Formula 1 as we know it today.
The team has taken both the Drivers' and Constructors' Championships for the last four years running, despite Ferrari putting up a fight last season, winning Nico Rosberg one and Lewis Hamilton three world titles. Mercedes hopes to extend its winning streak with success this year, despite intensifying competition from Ferrari and Red Bull Racing that threatens to depose the Silver Arrows. McLaren also hopes to challenge Mercedes this year, though how well the team will rebound from its disastrous Honda partnership is uncertain.
W09s will be captained in the 2018 season by quadruple world champion Lewis Hamilton of Britain and three-time Grand Prix winner Valtteri Bottas of Finland. Hamilton is favored to triumph in the intra-team battle, though Bottas' increasing comfort within the team is sure to keep him closer to Hamilton than he was in 2017.
- RELATEDToro Rosso Forgoes Teasers, Releases Full Photo of 2018 F1 CarWhy waste time with silly games when you can just reveal the car on Twitter?READ NOW
- RELATEDSay Good Morning To The Renault Sport R.S.18 Formula 1 CarRenault doesn't plan to gun for the title this year, but it will contend with fierce Renault-powered competitors McLaren and Red Bull.READ NOW
- RELATEDRed Bull Racing Reveals 2018 Formula 1 Car: The RB14Milton Keynes looks for a return to championship form in 2018.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Is The Alfa Romeo-Sauber C37 Formula 1 CarAlfa Romeo was last seen in Formula 1 in the dying days of the previous turbo era.READ NOW
- RELATEDWilliams FW41 Arrives as Second New Formula 1 Car of 2018One of the brainiacs behind Mercedes' dominance since 2014 is behind the FW41, will it improve the team's standings in F1?READ NOW